Berlingo Forum
'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: B9 Second Generation (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: 'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring (/thread-20188.html)

Pages: 1 2

'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - SteveE - 29-11-2020

A little info that might help someone with similar 'symptoms'.
Had a rattle on the front end when going over bumps or rough road surfaces. The noise was most prominent on the passenger side with slightly less from the driver's side. Both sides were more 'rattle' than 'knock' but quite loud. Decided to check the top mounts/bearings and found them both to be shot. The wear was not immediately obvious on the mounts but with a screwdriver in the strut hole insert and a good wiggle the damage could clearly be seen (see video). Changed the passenger side mount first and once all back together the rattle noise was cured/gone. Drivers side next which although not as noisy, turned out to have the most damage - broken spring at the top, same damage on the rubber mount plus the bearing just fell to bits when stripped down. So.... new spring/s required to go with the new mounts, best to change both I think.. 
Not really a bad job to do - Obviously the struts needs to come out and the coil springs need to be compressed to get the mounts off - be careful when doing this.. There are plenty of videos on Youtube on how to do this. My strut top bolts are accessible, just.. (2013 Multispace) without stripping the scuttle panel out, took about 30mins a side to get out. 

[attachment=5728][attachment=5727][attachment=5729][attachment=5730]
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/hlkAc_4RZ-A[/video]

RE: 'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - SteveE - 29-11-2020

This video (not mine) is exactly what I did to change the mounts, will apply to the springs too.[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/BLc6sUA4mAQ[/video]

RE: 'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - hawkeyefxr - 30-11-2020

I have just gone through this myself. Had the top bushing done and the shocks replaced.
The shocks had sideways movement.
It rattled over smallish bumps but dissapeared above 30MPH, Passed an MOT funny enough???
A mechanic did the work as i can't do this sort of thing now as i'm an Ol Git.

RE: 'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - Sol - 30-11-2020

My van has a slight clunk on going over a certain size of bump like the lip on the Monoblock at home, and oddly mine passed the MOT too. Could be onto something there mate. I'm also in the Old Git group these days. Still limping from crouching on the ground for an hour pulling the blower fan out.

RE: 'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - SteveE - 30-11-2020

(30-11-2020, 04:04 PM)hawkeyefxr Wrote:  I have just gone through this myself. Had the top bushing done and the shocks replaced.
It rattled over smallish bumps but dissapeared above 30MPH, Passed an MOT funny enough???

(30-11-2020, 04:26 PM)Zion Wrote:  My van has a slight clunk on going over a certain size of bump like the lip on the Monoblock at home, and oddly mine passed the MOT too. Could be onto something there mate. I'm also in the Old Git group these days. Still limping from crouching on the ground for an hour pulling the blower fan out.

I only bought this car a couple of weeks ago, it came with the 'rattle' which I didn't notice on the 'smooth road' test drive, the broken spring (as rattle)... And a full MOT...!!
Not sure how old you need to be to qualify as an Old Git ? I'm 60 but my knees feel a lot older these days....

RE: 'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - Sol - 30-11-2020

I'm on the way there myself Steve....and my knees have definitely retired before I have!

RE: 'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - ffrenchie - 01-12-2020

(30-11-2020, 09:41 PM)SteveE Wrote:  Not sure how old you need to be to qualify as an Old Git ? I'm 60 but my knees feel a lot older these days....

I'm 68, I fitted a pair of wishbones to our M59 at the end of October and I still ache now  Confused When the springs went on ours I bought a hydraulic compressor from Machine Mart to do them both, still cheaper than the garage doing them. I wouldn't trust the threaded bar type compressor on those springs. I know someone who spent 3 days in hospital with a fractured forehead and concussion and they never found the spring compressor.

RE: 'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - hawkeyefxr - 01-12-2020

(30-11-2020, 09:41 PM)SteveE Wrote:  
(30-11-2020, 04:04 PM)hawkeyefxr Wrote:  I have just gone through this myself. Had the top bushing done and the shocks replaced.

(30-11-2020, 04:26 PM)Zion Wrote:  My van has a slight clunk on going over a certain size of bump like the lip on the Monoblock at home, and oddly mine passed the MOT too. Could be onto something there mate. I'm also in the Old Git group these days. Still limping from crouching on the ground for an hour pulling the blower fan out.

I only bought this car a couple of weeks ago, it came with the 'rattle' which I didn't notice on the 'smooth road' test drive, the broken spring (as rattle)... And a full MOT...!!
Not sure how old you need to be to qualify as an Old Git ? I'm 60 but my knees feel a lot older these days....

Likewise, when  i took it for a test drive did not notice a thing and it just had an MOT. When i took it to my mechanic and asked him about the knock, he checked it out and could not find any movement in the bushes top and bottom though he seemed to know about the knocking on the Berlingo.
Now that i have no knocking now discovered another one, seems to be coming from the rear sliding door or maybe the draw with the cooker in it, have not checked yet.
As for getting under a car i have never liked working on cars,  I can get down there, it's the getting up thats not so good. I'll stick to working on bikes, much better.
As for old git i'm a 1948 vintage.

RE: 'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - smith335 - 01-12-2020

Mine is due a mot soon, and does the rattle thing as well.
ok on smooth roads , but you can hear it at slow speeds on bumpy roads.
I thought it may be the ply lining so removed it all and the rattle was still there...

seems to becoming from the rear??? or is it just my ears...

RE: 'Rattle' caused by worn top mounts and broken coil spring - Sol - 02-12-2020

I also suspect my spare wheel and cage may be responsible for some rear clonks, but at low speed over a bumpy edge it definitely clonks at the front but slightly.

I drove the wife's BMW Mini Cooper the other day when the van was off the road for the blower fan job, and it's hard as a rock but doesn't clonk at all.

I might remove the rear spare cage, I have 17" alloys anyway and the spare is an old 15" steel. I have a tyre inflator and plenty of tyreweld for any puncture events anyway.