Berlingo Forum
Speed limit recognition and recommendation - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: K9 Third Generation (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-57.html)
+--- Thread: Speed limit recognition and recommendation (/thread-20629.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Speed limit recognition and recommendation - GuyMcc - 25-02-2021

Hi everyone, I've just bought a very nice 2019 Berlingo multispace with all the bells and whistles.
Unfortunately it has this "speed limit sign and recognition" system and it's an utter pain in the ass.
I can turn it off every time I start the car. I was wondering does anyone know of a way of permanently turning this off, please please as it really is ruining my "new" car experience.
Thanks

RE: Speed limit recognition and recommendation - Sol - 25-02-2021

Find the camera it's using and put tape over it?

RE: Speed limit recognition and recommendation - xtimex - 26-02-2021

What about the S/S and line assistant keys or they can be switched off permanently?

RE: Speed limit recognition and recommendation - Sol - 26-02-2021

Might be possible to deactivate it with DiagBox. But, it would be online only at the K9 years so dealer level access required.

RE: Speed limit recognition and recommendation - Guanock - 03-03-2021

Hi

I am very new to the Berlingo and the way the French do things.

My car has road sign recognition which shows the actual speed limit I am driving in.

I have read and tried to understand the speed limiter setting procedures.

Is there a way to tell the speed limiter to automatically set itself to the current zone speed?

Geoff

RE: Speed limit recognition and recommendation - Gryffindor - 03-03-2021

I only have an old M59 so don't know how this system knows what the limit is - in the trucks I drive it's done by sat-nav not 'speed limit sign cameras'. This system knows where the limit signs are to within a few metres.

I've never heard of vehicle speed limiters auto adjusting to the current limit, and if they did it could be dangerous! All I can offer is that my cheap Chinese truck sat-nav can warn me visually and/or audibly if I speed, and I can set the amount of overspeed before it does so.

RE: Speed limit recognition and recommendation - GuyMcc - 03-03-2021

I thought about the camera covering option, but I think then the stupid dash would just keep flashing a wee red speed limit sign with 2 lines in it.

RE: Speed limit recognition and recommendation - Sol - 04-03-2021

so if you stick to the limit does it leave you alone?

This would need a main dealer to deactivate it, if they even can

RE: Speed limit recognition and recommendation - Mark604 - 04-03-2021

The camera on mine is facing forward behind the rear view mirror, like I suspect most are. I went in to a garage for a different problem that was fixed but they told me there was an error fault with the camera. It wasn't reading anything. It turned out to be a leaf covering it up.
The point is, I never noticed the speed sign detection thing wasn't displaying so it couldn't have been doing anything annoying like beeping or flashing to tell me - hence as Zion said, maybe give it a try.

The other point though is isn't it used as part of the cruise control to keep your distance from the car in front if you use that setting, or the collision warning beeps? Maybe other stuff as well but I understand it doesn't just read the limit signs so if covering it up, it may affect other functionalities?

RE: Speed limit recognition and recommendation - Sol - 04-03-2021

Don't know, as most adaptive cruise systems use radar or similar to maintain following distance. A camera wouldn't be much use for that, it can't tell the size of an object or distance and with one camera, depth is not measurable. Like when you cover one eye and try to touch something at arms length (try it lol). Pretty hard, so I think the camera won't be used for that stuff.

Mind you, I'm guestimating. Try a sticker over the lens, easy to take off again. And for gauging distance to another car or lane positioning.....well, you already have an advanced system built in.....your eyes!