Berlingo Forum
Yellow envelope - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Introductions, Feedback & Site Rules, & General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Drivers Café (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Yellow envelope (/thread-20947.html)

Pages: 1 2

Yellow envelope - my mucker - 19-04-2021

Hi all , i dont know if this is post  is in the right place !! but I'm  having a yellow envelope  appearing on my screen when I'm  searching through the forum ?? can anyone explain this to me please ?? ive been a member of this forum now for six years and never come across this before ,is it to do with the forum ??? Thanks

RE: Yellow envelope - Sol - 19-04-2021

There's a yellow bar appears at the top when you have a private message mate but never seen an envelope other than that. What browser are you using (Chrome, Internet Explorer, FireFox etc)

RE: Yellow envelope - my mucker - 19-04-2021

Ye I've had the yellowy bar for the pm's but this is a yellow envelope about 3×2 cm's and saying I've been chosen for a prize because i am a regular user of this site ,and could be a winner of the new i phone !! I am using google chrome ??

Ah that's a scam, we don't do anything like that and if we did, I'd know about it from management.

Don't open it, or click any links in it, or send any personal details to anyone mate. You must have a bit of adware installed by accident (always some toerag on the internet trying to scam someone)

I'd Google how to clear all browser history and cookies, it's in the chrome settings. Then reboot and you'll have to sign in to all your website's again.

Be very careful about using internet banking till the computer has been scanned for malware by someone, do you have a son / daughter / grandkids who would know how to install malware bytes or Microsoft security essentials?

Ok ,no i dont know anyone who could do that for me !!! And i do do all my banking on the internet ,and when i log in they tell me i am logging on to a secure sight !! I took a pic of the envelope !! Do you want to see it ???

RE: Yellow envelope - Mike - 19-04-2021

It's probably one of the adverts at the top of the forum, we don't get any choice in those (assuming they still appear for people).

Hello Mike ,is it anything to worry about!! Like Zion said about adware and be careful about internet banking !! and being a super moderator like yourself hasn't seen it before!!

I'd just be cautious, if it's an advert on our site (and I forgot that is the case for non paying members) then we don't have direct control over the content I expect. Aye put a screen shot up, if it's embedded in the page then it's just an annoying advert and can be ignored, just don't click it. These kind of adverts just want your email address so they can try to sell you summat else.

If it's a pop up spam advert, I'd leave it alone. I used to get adverts embedded in the pages before I was a paid supporter, and never saw pop out spam ads.

Basic guide is don't give personal details to anyone you dont know and didn't approach yourself. Don't click links in emails, use the browser to search the originators and call them on the phone or use their own site to contact them. Never divulge pin numbers or account details to anyone who contacts you by text or email.

You go to the people direct (bank, insurers etc) using details you looked up and you'll always be ok.

(If you never entered the Spanish lottery, any emails claiming you've won, are obviously scams. Be sharp, be suspicious. )

Internet banking is fine if you use your own bank website to log in. Never use a link from an email or text as banks don't do that in reality. So not to make you afraid mate, just be cautious.

(19-04-2021, 07:43 PM)Zion Wrote:  I'd just be cautious, if it's an advert on our site (and I forgot that is the case for non paying members) then we don't have direct control over the content I expect. Aye put a screen shot up, if it's embedded in the page then it's just an annoying advert and can be ignored, just don't click it. These kind of adverts just want your email address so they can try to sell you summat else.

If it's a pop up spam advert, I'd leave it alone. I used to get adverts embedded in the pages before I was a paid supporter, and never saw pop out spam ads.

Basic guide is don't give personal details to anyone you dont know and didn't approach yourself. Don't click links in emails, use the browser to search the originators and call them on the phone or use their own site to contact them. Never divulge pin numbers or account details to anyone who contacts you by text or email.

You go to the people direct (bank, insurers etc) using details you looked up and you'll always be ok.

(If you never entered the Spanish lottery, any emails claiming you've won, are obviously scams. Be sharp, be suspicious. )

Internet banking is fine if you use your own bank website to log in. Never use a link from an email or text as banks don't do that in reality. So not to make you afraid mate, just be cautious.

Ok Zion will do !! So you are saying  it pops up because i am a non paying member ?? so how do you become a paying member ??

Ok that's just an advert, nothing to do with the site itself. To become a "paid" member it's called being a donator. That small amount goes to the site to help run it, and for that the owners turn off adverts. At the top, you see "donate" and I see that the site owner (André) has it set to £20 minimum but it's a one-off as far as I know. So if you join as a donator, your user description changes to blue stars and you get all adverts removed. All donations go to his costs for site hosting and management. Websites cost money to have online and the companies who store them on the internet need paid, so André will have costs to bear on a monthly basis, some of which are funded by adverts, and some by donations.

For info, all "Super Moderators" (like myself, MIke, BrodFather etc) are unpaid volunteers who help run the site on a daily basis as they are interested in the vehicle model and keeping the forum going to help others.

If you want to have all adverts removed, click "donate" and contribute £20 once, for which André will change your status and adverts will disappear. Usually this is via PayPal.

And here the sermon endeth Big Grin