Berlingo Forum
Commercial Axle on an MPV - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Commercial Axle on an MPV (/thread-23203.html)

Pages: 1 2

Commercial Axle on an MPV - ItsGreen - 25-11-2022

Evening all

A few months ago, I bought myself a 2006 Partner MPV with the 2.0HDI in to use as a cheap van. I'm normally a VW man, but newer Caddy's are overpriced, built a bit crap, and uncomfortable if you're above a certain height.

It's not failed it's MOT on anything dreadful, so I'm planning on putting a bit of effort into it and keeping it for a while. Part of it is the back axle is starting to look a bit saggy, so I think I want to be putting a new one on before the inevitable happens.

Has anyone used IMAxles? Any feedback there?

I'm not actually sure what the payload on my van is, I know it kerbs at 1280kg empty with the back seats out and a full tank of diesel. I normally carry myself and about 100kg of tools and materials, but occassionally it does get properly loaded up. I'm not towing with it at the moment, but I wouldn't mind putting a towbar on at some point for a 750kg single axle trailer I have. 

I was wondering if anyone's got any experience of putting a 600 rear axle on would make much difference, for good or bad, or if I should stick with one that's set up for the MPV? I spoke to IMAxles and they said they're interchangable, just different ride heights and ride quality.

RE: Commercial Axle on an MPV - ItsGreen - 25-11-2022

The plot thickens a bit. Mine's an "Escapade" with the grills over the lights. Another thread said these are jacked up a bit from the factory. Any truth in that, and is it going to be a factor?

RE: Commercial Axle on an MPV - Sol - 25-11-2022

The Escapade is a lifted off-roady type version (owned and beloved by our treasured member @saskak) so I'll let him comment on parts.

He has a great YouTube channel of videos on repairs and mods to his vehicle. Search YouTube for "moremolecules"

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/c/moremolecules

RE: Commercial Axle on an MPV - ItsGreen - 25-11-2022

Thanks for that, I'd not totally realised it was lifted until I saw one of his other posts. I don't mind though, saves me bumping my head on the tailgate like I used to on my Transit.

Got to admit, it's not half bad off road, but I'm on M+S tyres, so that could be a bit of it. I took it fording a few weeks ago and it did well. Got a confused look off a bloke in a land rover as I drove out of the end of a river that he was crossing at about 0.000005mph.

RE: Commercial Axle on an MPV - Sol - 25-11-2022

I cant see on top of the Berlingo, never mind hit my head on a transit tailgate. 5'8" means means even a Lego brick works as a step up lol

RE: Commercial Axle on an MPV - Kyleonsite - 26-11-2022

I have an Escapade as well, the article below mentions 30mm longer front suspension and 3mm (!) higher on the rear axle.

Mine has had a replacement axle according to the paperwork when I bought it but I don't know if it was an 'Escapade' axle or a normal Berlingo one. I'm guessing with only 3mm difference that it doesn't really matter.

The front suspension is definitely different to a Berlingo, the shocks have a different part number and if you search through Autodocs website you can see some of the Peugeot partner springs are longer than the rest of them and longer than the Berlingo springs. These are the Escapade ones even though it doesn't specifically say as much.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/car-reviews/peugeot-partner-combi-20-hdi-escapade

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/3306897/the-peugeot-partner-combi-robins-and-day

RE: Commercial Axle on an MPV - ItsGreen - 26-11-2022

Thanks for that. Interesting to see from the brochure that my van has the "Tena" interior... That explains what it smelt like when I bought it at least!

If it's only a 3mm lift on the rear, I'm not going to worry too much. I've had a think about how much load I actually put in it, especially as I don't normally have the back seats in, and the crap roads I drive on, and I think an MPV axle is probably the best idea.

RE: Commercial Axle on an MPV - saskak - 26-11-2022

Hi ItsGreen,

Is the Partner green though ;-)

Looking at my handbook for the Escapade, your 2.0HDi, the kerb weight is 1,311kg and Gross Vehicle Weight 1,920kg, so max payload should be ~610kg. Mine is 1.6HDi and the kerb weight a bit less at 1,269kg and GVW 1,880kg, about the same payload, which I have matched on several occasions without a problem.

For an unbraked trailer you get 500kg for the 2.0HDi, the 1.6HDi (smaller engine) can do 540kg. For braked trailer you can do 1,100kg.

Not too sure about the axle part numbers, never checked them.

RE: Commercial Axle on an MPV - ItsGreen - 26-11-2022

It is indeed green, that was about the extent of my knowledge of it when I bought it in a rush due to my last vehicle going boom. The 1270kg empty was at the weighbridge while I was doing a scrap run. Pretty safe to say the missing 41kg is more or less the back seats, which I don't normally have in (8 bolts to remove on mine, being an earlier one).

My 750kg trailer's braked (very much so, when I've got it on the older Caddy I can feel it pulling me back under braking), and the Partner's going to have all new brakes when I've done the axle, so no issues there.

RE: Commercial Axle on an MPV - saskak - 26-11-2022

(26-11-2022, 01:56 PM)ItsGreen Wrote:  It is indeed green, that was about the extent of my knowledge of it when I bought it in a rush due to my last vehicle going boom. The 1270kg empty was at the weighbridge while I was doing a scrap run. Pretty safe to say the missing 41kg is more or less the back seats, which I don't normally have in (8 bolts to remove on mine, being an earlier one).

My 750kg trailer's braked (very much so, when I've got it on the older Caddy I can feel it pulling me back under braking), and the Partner's going to have all new brakes when I've done the axle, so no issues there.

750 braked should be more than alright. My brakes were always squeaking + some vibration and did not instill a lot of confidence. I "upgraded" to proper Brembo all around disks + pads + shoes + drums, although it brakes better, still thought it should do better. I went for the cheapest brembo for the Partner, but should have paid a bit more for the sligthly higher brembo specs. In hindsight, I would go for something else than Brembo. For the disks they cheapened and provided only 1 disk screw, not that it matters that much, but for the price I thought that where else have they cut costs.