Berlingo Forum
Tailgate catch freezing - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: K9 Third Generation (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-57.html)
+--- Thread: Tailgate catch freezing (/thread-23213.html)

Tailgate catch freezing - Leonberger - 30-11-2022

In freezing temperatures I have twice found the tailgate refusing to open when I press the catch. On both occasions there was absolute silence, but I assumed that the lock was frozen.

The second time it happened was when we were taking the dog for a walk. It worked fine at home (where the temperature was just above freezing), but when we came back to the car on the moor where we were walking the dog (where there was a heavy frost) it was frozen. I was surprised at that because the car was warm when we left it, and we were only away half an hour.

It could have been a serious problem since the dog is both too old and too big to get into the back seats, but thankfully it opened after I held my hand against the catch for a couple of minutes.

Has anyone else had this problem, and have you any suggested preventative measures?

RE: Tailgate catch freezing - Sol - 30-11-2022

Slather the lock in vaseline.

RE: Tailgate catch freezing - Leonberger - 30-11-2022

I did spray both the tailgate and bumper ends of the lock with WD40 white lithium grease, though the car being new they were clean and lightly oiled anyway.
I wasn’t sure that I should spray anything into the handle itself, since I am guessing that it will be an electrical rather than a mechanical connection, and I didn’t want to spray into an electric switch. What do you think?

RE: Tailgate catch freezing - Sol - 30-11-2022

It freezes because it's wet. Putting lithium grease or vaseline can only help. I am talking about the striker and latch, not the electric handle. The latch and striker are probably freezing together so the electric release can't move them....

RE: Tailgate catch freezing - Leonberger - 01-12-2022

(30-11-2022, 10:40 PM)Zion Wrote:  It freezes because it's wet. Putting lithium grease or vaseline can only help. I am talking about the striker and latch, not the electric handle. The latch and striker are probably freezing together so the electric release can't move them....

Thanks Zion. I have done that, so we will see what happens at the next frost.

RE: Tailgate catch freezing - Sol - 01-12-2022

Great stuff, let us know how it goes.

RE: Tailgate catch freezing - Leonberger - 09-12-2022

Snow cover at -6 today, but the tailgate and other doors opened just fine. It looks like my WD White Lithium grease spray has done the trick!

RE: Tailgate catch freezing - Sol - 09-12-2022

Exactly what it needed. Good stuff.

RE: Tailgate catch freezing - Leonberger - 10-12-2022

Out for our dog walk at 9.00am today, which involved driving the last mile on a single track frozen snowy road, with ice gleaming through in the wheel tracks.

I was very pleased with the way the Berlingo dealt with it, climbing a 1 in 4 incline hairpin at one point without batting an eyelid. Further up the hill the front wheels scrabbled for grip a couple of times, but only for a second or so.

Our previous C4 Grand Picasso was completely useless in these conditions (until we shod it with Michelin Crossclimate + tyres, which totally transformed it), and I did wonder if we would have to do the same with the Berlingo, but it seems this may not be necessary.