Berlingo Forum
wiring a hands free kit to cigarette socket wiring and mute function - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: B9 Second Generation (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: wiring a hands free kit to cigarette socket wiring and mute function (/thread-23508.html)

Pages: 1 2

wiring a hands free kit to cigarette socket wiring and mute function - dr268 - 16-02-2023

i have an old Bluetooth nokia car kit to install in my 09 Partner

can i just tap into the cigarette lighter 12v feed wire without any issues ?

the car kit has very little draw (less than 3 amps) so I see no issue but this thing being french so anything is possible. 

the kit has a mute connection wire but on investigation behind my standard stereo there seems to be no mute wire to connect to, in the wiring diagram it is claimed to be wire 14 but its empty, do I need to put a wire in or should i just forget about the mute function ?

thanks

RE: wiring a hands free kit to cigarette socket wiring and mute function - John Bilko - 17-02-2023

(16-02-2023, 10:02 PM)dr268 Wrote:  i have an old Bluetooth nokia car kit to install in my 09 Partner

can i just tap into the cigarette lighter 12v feed wire without any issues ?

Concerning bluetooth I am no expert.  However, with regard to the ciggy lighter I somewhat reconfigured mine and changed it for a more modern type of 12v socket because I plug a lot of kit into it via an extension. 

Also, I moved it completely as I wanted the hole it was in for my truck horn button.

[attachment=8154]

RE: wiring a hands free kit to cigarette socket wiring and mute function - Sol - 17-02-2023

You can tap the 12v from the socket, be aware it's powered by the BSI which is the body systems interface computer. 3A is not bad, I wouldn't bother with the mute connection. Joining more than one belingo component to something often makes it go a bit nuts.

You still have an old Nokia to use such a phone cradle? They invented Bluetooth by the way. It's really good.

RE: wiring a hands free kit to cigarette socket wiring and mute function - John Bilko - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 07:25 AM)Zion Wrote:  You can tap the 12v from the socket 3A is not bad

This is part of the reason why I added my own line direct  to the battery;  I am going to attach a 12v socket from that wire and fit it into the glove box so I can plug in chargers and other stuff that comes equipped with a cig lighter plug. Cool  I can go to 40 amps in theory but I work on 20 amps as a maximum.

RE: wiring a hands free kit to cigarette socket wiring and mute function - dr268 - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 07:25 AM)Zion Wrote:  You can tap the 12v from the socket, be aware it's powered by the BSI which is the body systems interface computer. 3A is not bad, I wouldn't bother with the mute connection. Joining more than one belingo component to something often makes it go a bit nuts.

You still have an old Nokia to use such a phone cradle? They invented Bluetooth by the way. It's really good.

cheers 

I will forget about the mute, its not hard to turn the volume knob. 

yes its bluetooth with no cradle, only the wee nokia call answer button

neat wee kit with minimal wiring once you find a 12v supply, no mad wiring looms like a parrot

RE: wiring a hands free kit to cigarette socket wiring and mute function - dr268 - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 08:52 AM)John Bilko Wrote:  
(17-02-2023, 07:25 AM)Zion Wrote:  You can tap the 12v from the socket 3A is not bad

This is part of the reason why I added my own line direct  to the battery;  I am going to attach a 12v socket from that wire and fit it into the glove box so I can plug in chargers and other stuff that comes equipped with a cig lighter plug. Cool  I can go to 40 amps in theory but I work on 20 amps as a maximum.

I didn't consider going to the battery as its usually a real pain getting through the bulkhead but now after a quick look the bonnet catch cable goes through at a sensible height inside the car. 

did you use it to feed a wire through and if so on the engine side when the battery is removed is it easy to reach ?

(17-02-2023, 09:13 AM)dr268 Wrote:  

I didn't consider going to the battery as its usually a real pain getting through the bulkhead but now after a quick look the bonnet catch cable goes through at a sensible height inside the car. 

did you use it to feed a wire through and if so on the engine side when the battery is removed is it easy to reach ?

It was one of my first approaches and I couldn't do it.  You might have success though.  There is a spare connector on the battery's cover under the red cover that you can tap off.

In fact I tried many approaches to this problem of passing a live lead through. It was a nightmare.

Ultimately I went with the towbar power lead that was suggested in a link.  If you do not have a towbar then the lead will be accessible behind the fuse box and has a termination to tap off.  It is a thick white lead and is really visible but hard to access without removing the glove box.  I'll have to see if I can find the link that deals with this. If you do have the towbar harness at the back the white lead ends in a connector that can be tapped off with a spade connector.  Access is through the N/S side panel at the back which is easily removed. 

Run through some of my posts - there is a load of info.

(17-02-2023, 09:31 AM)John Bilko Wrote:  
(17-02-2023, 09:13 AM)dr268 Wrote:  

It was one of my first approaches and I couldn't do it.  You might have success though.  There is a spare connector on the battery's cover under the red cover that you can tap off.

In fact I tried many approaches to this problem of passing a live lead through. It was a nightmare.

Ultimately I went with the towbar power lead that was suggested in a link.  If you do not have a towbar then the lead will be accessible behind the fuse box and has a termination to tap off.  It is a thick white lead and is really visible but hard to access without removing the glove box.  I'll have to see if I can find the link that deals with this. If you do have the towbar harness at the back the white lead ends in a connector that can be tapped off with a spade connector.  Access is through the N/S side panel at the back which is easily removed. 

Run through some of my posts - there is a load of info.

all working, I just connected to the back of the cigarette socket due to the low ampage required and that it will never be used to light a cigarette. I fused my new line too with appropriate fuse

taking the glove box off to get to the fuses isnt a great design 

thanks

RE: wiring a hands free kit to cigarette socket wiring and mute function - Sol - 17-02-2023

Not to mention that the one behind the glovebox, is one of up to 5 fuseboxes depending on spec. All placed in different locations, some hidden so much that no one has yet found them all. I have Citroen official data sheets on the location and I still haven't located the 4th and 5th fuse boxes.

(17-02-2023, 10:14 PM)Zion Wrote:  Not to mention that the one behind the glovebox, is one of up to 5 fuseboxes depending on spec. All placed in different locations, some hidden so much that no one has yet found them all. I have Citroen official data sheets on the location and I still haven't located the 4th and 5th fuse boxes.
It is so depressing and I have the T shirt for it.