Berlingo Forum
gear linkage ball joint problems - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+---- Forum: Solved (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-51.html)
+---- Thread: gear linkage ball joint problems (/thread-3409.html)

Pages: 1 2

gear linkage ball joint problems - Peter Lane - 14-08-2012

I was very recently towing a caravan with my 2004, 2 ltr. HDi multi-space. I was forced to brake heavily. 3 gear changes later my gear linkage ball joint disconnected it's self. I was stuck in second gear. I parked and called the AA. I later saw my Mechanic who found that when put into reverse gear the ball joint disengaged and re-engaged when put back into neutral. Is this normal? or does it need fixing? Should I replace some parts anyway? any feed back would be welcome

RE: gear linkage ball joint problems - ron - 14-08-2012

(14-08-2012, 06:42 PM)Peter Lane Wrote:  I was very recently towing a caravan with my 2004, 2 ltr. HDi multi-space. I was forced to brake heavily. 3 gear changes later my gear linkage ball joint disconnected it's self. I was stuck in second gear. I parked and called the AA. I later saw my Mechanic who found that when put into reverse gear the ball joint disengaged and re-engaged when put back into neutral. Is this normal? or does it need fixing? Should I replace some parts anyway? any feed back would be welcome

If the joint dislocates,it's worn.Check/replace as necc.
Another thought,if the vehicle has had severe frontal damage,a rod may be bent causing stress on the joint.Not so likely but check panel joints for repair marks.

RE: gear linkage ball joint problems - billskipton - 15-08-2012

(14-08-2012, 06:42 PM)Peter Lane Wrote:  I was very recently towing a caravan with my 2004, 2 ltr. HDi multi-space. I was forced to brake heavily. 3 gear changes later my gear linkage ball joint disconnected it's self. I was stuck in second gear. I parked and called the AA. I later saw my Mechanic who found that when put into reverse gear the ball joint disengaged and re-engaged when put back into neutral. Is this normal? or does it need fixing? Should I replace some parts anyway? any feed back would be welcome

Definitely replace the links which are worn. Not a major job but if you don't, sooner or later you'l end up stuck in gear or in neutral and kicking yourself for not getting it done when you had the chance. I learned the hard way - rolling along in neutral on a very busy road!

RE: gear linkage ball joint problems - BerlingoHDI - 15-08-2012

Change all linkages while you can they're not expensive and saves a lot of hassle as others have mentioned

RE: gear linkage ball joint problems - Peter Lane - 15-08-2012

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I will indeed take the advise and have the linkage replaced.

RE: gear linkage ball joint problems - lostatsea - 26-04-2013

1st post-
just had this very problem! upon leaving roundabout went to select 3rd gear but had handful of nothing!
apparently the selector ball joint is 'housed' in rubber and rubber had disintegrated, anyone have any pictures helping me to do replacement would be most helpful.
many thanks!!

RE: gear linkage ball joint problems - crickleymal - 26-04-2013

You don't need pictures really. There are two linkages (at least on my 1.9DW there are) one longer thanthe other. Both are a round rod with circular ends within which is a rubber doofus containing the bit that fits over the gearbox actuators. Just prize off the old linkage, the rubber bit may rip so you rip it off and use a pipe grips to get the central bit off. The new one just pops into place. Once you see the new bit you'll see how easy it is.
There are stacks of them for sale on ebay for not much money. Just make sure you get the right ones.

RE: gear linkage ball joint problems - Gadgetman - 26-04-2013

Be careful about the kits on eBay.
Not all kits fits all cars. Really wish they posted the length of the links

Bought a 3 link kit for my 1999 1.4i, and only the two short links fit. The long one is about half an inch too long. (Of course, mine is built to drive on the right side of the road, and most kits on eBay are for wrong side of the road drivers. That also goes for clutch cables. )
One of my short links fell apart when I pulled and replaced the engine last winter. The other was almost rusted apart and only held on by sheer desperation...
Luckily the long one was in OK condition.

A tip is to use a pry-bar designed to remove door cards and other interior panels.
(bent, forked tip)
Great for prying off those pesky cups.
And if you can get it, pick a set of links with adjustable length links.
They're a pain to adjust, but may be the difference between a 'difficult gearbox' and a 'tight gearbox'.

RE: gear linkage ball joint problems - lostatsea - 27-04-2013

hey thanks all, i appreciate all the info i can get! i like the idea of being able to adjust them to get best feel (and prob less stress on parts)
nice 1

bty-2004 2.0hdi desire

RE: gear linkage ball joint problems - lostatsea - 27-04-2013

# might help:
2001 and before longest bar has 13mm ends both sides!

2002 onwards the longest bar has 1x13mm end and 1x10mm end!