Berlingo Forum
Spare tyres (lack of) - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Berlingo Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Spare tyres (lack of) (/thread-3885.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Spare tyres (lack of) - geoff - 17-10-2012

(17-10-2012, 09:39 PM)evdama Wrote:  Are we talking about the aerosol foam that re-pressurises the tyre as well ?
The stuff that doesn't work?

Yes, in my case the tyre was inflated to around 8 psi from dead flat. I would have needed to have used three aerosols to get a proper result !

I now have a spare with 1/2 tread for a tenner from my local scrappy which is cheaper than the aerosols.

RE: Spare tyres (lack of) - evdama - 18-10-2012

(17-10-2012, 11:11 PM)andy-womble Wrote:  
(17-10-2012, 09:39 PM)evdama Wrote:  I put OkO blue,road spec version in the cars and the green version in all the other rides.
I cant guarantee it works for every eventuality but I haven't had a puncture in 20 years of using it...

When I worked for the council we used to use OKO on a wheeled-loading shovel that was handling incinerated ash waste. Inevitably it had nails and other metallic inclusions and prior to using OKO was plagued with punctures. OKO definately helped in a lot instances but once the tyre did start to have punctures it was scrap.

No, it certainly wont work outside its spec- holes up to a certain (quite scary I think) size
And I once put it in a set of HangWongChong radials for someone else. and it did not work at all.
Embarassing, after I'd 'bigged it up'.

Often there's shards of metal embedded in vehicle tyres at some of the places I go to -one with OKO spluttering out onto the dirt-hopeless.
Enter at your own risk the sign on the gate says- I'd rather be bitten by the guard dog.
Thats why I run a set of dog ends when I'm doing those trips .

Ive also seen the other side to it -a guy really having trouble getting the inner tube out of a vintage bike tyre.
The oko had been working well and he'd had countless punctures without realising.
So many in fact that the oko had grown tiny 'stalagmites' out through the tube and pinned it to the tyre.

RE: Spare tyres (lack of) - tucker - 18-10-2012

Due to an LPG conversion I've not carried a spare for 4 and a half years.

Maybe I have been lucky but the only proper puncture I had happened on my way home from a short journey and I heard it deflating when I pulled on the driveway.

I've been upto to scotland and down to cornwall and never thought twice about it.

I carry the aerosol can, but to be honest, I'd probably just ring the breakdown cover and be recovered to a tyre fitter for repair or replacement.

I have a spare set of tyres but never bother putting one in the boot.

RE: Spare tyres (lack of) - evdama - 18-10-2012

(18-10-2012, 12:29 PM)tucker Wrote:  Due to an LPG conversion I've not carried a spare for 4 and a half years.

Maybe I have been lucky but the only proper puncture I had happened on my way home from a short journey and I heard it deflating when I pulled on the driveway.

I've been upto to scotland and down to cornwall and never thought twice about it.

I carry the aerosol can, but to be honest, I'd probably just ring the breakdown cover and be recovered to a tyre fitter for repair or replacement.

How's the conversion -is it paying its way?

RE: Spare tyres (lack of) - pidgeonpost - 18-10-2012

I saw at least one instance of one of the foam repair kits not working last year. On my way to collect some scrumpy I passed a new Porsche in a layby at the junction where I turned off. It was clearly down at the rear end, and the smartly suited gent driver was having a very animated conversation on his mobile. When I came back half an hour later I was able to see the offside of the car, and sure enough the rear tyre was flat as a dab, and the rear quarter of this shiny new Porsche had a generous coating of latex foam over it. Clearly something had gone 'orribly wrong!
I don't think you can beat a full-sized spare, though a space-saver is better than nowt. I've often wondered how the drivers of some of the big 4x4's manage if they get a flat. I used to struggle with a standard 16" Land Rover wheel - makes me back hurt to think about it!

RE: Spare tyres (lack of) - tucker - 18-10-2012

(18-10-2012, 02:22 PM)evdama Wrote:  How's the conversion -is it paying its way?

Oh absolutely. It cost me £1200 and in 4 and a half years I have saved £3000 in fuel against petrol.

It currently costs me 64p a litre so each fill up is around half the cost.

RE: Spare tyres (lack of) - philip - 19-10-2012

My V70 doesn't come with a spare only a pump and can of foam. If I was doing a lot of miles in it I would buy a spare for it.
So my answer would be it wouldn't put me off buying the car.

RE: Spare tyres (lack of) - Noel Brig - 20-10-2012

(18-10-2012, 12:29 PM)tucker Wrote:  I carry the aerosol can, but to be honest, I'd probably just ring the breakdown cover and be recovered to a tyre fitter for repair or replacement.

A condition of my breakdown cover: "You must carry a roadworthy spare tyre at all times" - no mention of the rim though:whistle:

RE: Spare tyres (lack of) - tucker - 20-10-2012

(20-10-2012, 01:34 PM)Noel Brig Wrote:  
(18-10-2012, 12:29 PM)tucker Wrote:  I carry the aerosol can, but to be honest, I'd probably just ring the breakdown cover and be recovered to a tyre fitter for repair or replacement.

A condition of my breakdown cover: "You must carry a roadworthy spare tyre at all times" - no mention of the rim though:whistle:

Mine doesn't require that. It says a spare or a can of the repair stuff. It doesn't say I have to use it, just that I have to have one in the vehicle.

I checked it prior to taking the cover and they confirmed I was ok in an email.

Any breakdown company insisting on a spare is going to have no one to cover in 5 years, because most new cars now, don't have one as standard.

RE: Spare tyres (lack of) - Opensauce - 28-02-2017

New 'lingo for tomorrow. 1.6 diesel manual Feel. It has steel road wheels & I was assured I would get a full sized road wheel spare interchangeable with the others to allow me to swap around & wear out all 5 tyres as with current 'lingo. Went to see car this morning to check towbar ok etc. All was good apart from spare wheel.

Looking underneath I noticed wheel had the 50mph/80kph stickers as found on temporary spare. The steel wheel appeared identical to the other road wheels but instead of the 205 section Michelin Energy Savers as fitted to the road wheels the tyre was a cheapo 195 section Kleber. Presumably a money saver for Citroen & they can get away with it by labelling it as a temporary spare. I somehow guessed this might happen which is why I checked before car is delivered tomorrow. I have been assured that I will get a correct size Michelin spare as soon as Cit can send one.