Berlingo Forum
DON'T TRUST THE LEVEL INDICATOR! - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: DON'T TRUST THE LEVEL INDICATOR! (/thread-3944.html)

DON'T TRUST THE LEVEL INDICATOR! - chronyx - 27-10-2012

Don't worry, no disaster story as I check with the dipstick regularly and generally ignore the level indicator anyway.

Out of curiosity I turned the ignition on (Not the engine! Rolleyes) while the van was drained of oil, and according to the gauge, the level was fine, no warning lights or beeps.

So, get your head under the bonnet. Smile

The oil light has never come on and went out immediately when re-filled with oil and the engine started, so assume just a duff sensor somewhere.

RE: DON'T TRUST THE LEVEL INDICATOR! - ron - 27-10-2012

The dipstick is simple & reliable,I always use it,but I appreciate your concern for those who rely on technology.

RE: DON'T TRUST THE LEVEL INDICATOR! - Muppet1 - 27-10-2012

Checked mine the other day on the dippystick and all fine and check saying all is fine.

So all is fine in Berlingo land for the minute.

RE: DON'T TRUST THE LEVEL INDICATOR! - j90xxx - 28-10-2012

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago.
Someone got a bit upset when I mentioned that the dipstick is for checking oil, rather than relying on pretty lights.
Granted, we trust the fuel gauge rather than dipping the tank, but fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Instead of dipping the tank, we usually just put some fuel in.
Lights and gauges are an indication. Anyone who checks their oil via the dashboard (only) is asking for trouble.
P.S.
The bonnet release (Mk2) is by the N/S inner wing, in the passenger footwell, below the box for putting gloves in. It is red.
The end of the dipstick is usually orange or yellow, and when removed it's stick shaped.

RE: DON'T TRUST THE LEVEL INDICATOR! - andy-womble - 28-10-2012

What shape is this bonnet thingy I need to lift up, Martin?????:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:Confusedillyme:Confusedillyme:

RE: DON'T TRUST THE LEVEL INDICATOR! - j90xxx - 28-10-2012

(28-10-2012, 12:29 PM)andy-womble Wrote:  What shape is this bonnet thingy I need to lift up, Martin?????:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:Confusedillyme:Confusedillyme:

Will post you a picture, Andy.
Not obvious for the mechanically challenged, other than it's red and clashes with the decor. :whistle:

RE: DON'T TRUST THE LEVEL INDICATOR! - chronyx - 28-10-2012

(28-10-2012, 03:47 PM)j90xxx Wrote:  
(28-10-2012, 12:29 PM)andy-womble Wrote:  What shape is this bonnet thingy I need to lift up, Martin?????:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:Confusedillyme:Confusedillyme:

Will post you a picture, Andy.
Not obvious for the mechanically challenged, other than it's red and clashes with the decor. :whistle:

:lol:I think he means the actual bonnet.

Pop into your friendly local Citroen dealer and they will gladly show where the bonnet is, for a reasonable fee. :thumbsup::lol:

RE: DON'T TRUST THE LEVEL INDICATOR! - andy-womble - 28-10-2012

Wheres the bonnet, is that the big door at the back where we stuff the groceries each week??? :whistle::whistle::whistle: