Berlingo Forum
1.6 hdi berlingo injector - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Berlingo Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: 1.6 hdi berlingo injector (/thread-7405.html)

1.6 hdi berlingo injector - stu76 - 05-08-2013

does anyone know what is the correct tool to use to remove the injectors from a hdi 1.6 berlingo 2008 van please? its like a torx with a star shape inner bolt too, want to check mine and see if its causing a issue with the cold starting as may be a leak back from one causing this problem, any precautions to take when removal of each injector? thanks:whistle:

RE: 1.6 hdi berlingo injector - jcuthy - 05-08-2013

Hi Stu,

I have recently replaced the seals on one of my injectors and used a torx bit to unscrew them (sorry, not sure what size bit I used).

It was easy to identify and locate my leak because I could hear it on idle! plus when I removed the black plastic cover (with HDi 1.6 on) and placed my hand an inch above the injector heads, and could feel an air discharge from the 4th injector.

I was experiencing blue smoke and low idle on a cold start, however this stopped by replacing the following parts!

1 X INJECTOR SEAL, part number 1609848280 - £3.20
1 X INJECTOR PROTECTOR Rubber seal, part number 198299 - £2.28

I purchased them from my local Citroen garage and fitted them without issue. I read somewhere on this site that you should only tighten the two torx head bolts to 5nm, therefore I borrowed a torque wrench to ensure I didn't over do it.

I'm no mechanic Stu but can send you a walk through of the order I removed each component, I dare say someone else on this site could provide a more detailed post but the offer is there!

RE: 1.6 hdi berlingo injector - stu76 - 05-08-2013

hi.....
many thanks for the detailed reply very helpful.
why did you remove and replace the seals, was it because you felt air above each injector? did you have rough idle from cold then was ok after a min or so like mine?
is there any special things you need to do to remove the injectors? did you remove them fully from the head to replace the seals? you say only a torque so you unscrew them and remove somehow? any help appreciated as do you need to depressurise the fuel rail too?
sorry for all the questions.

regards
stuWink

Hi Stu,

I have recently replaced the seals on one of my injectors and used a torx bit to unscrew them (sorry, not sure what size bit I used).

It was easy to identify and locate my leak because I could hear it on idle! plus when I removed the black plastic cover (with HDi 1.6 on) and placed my hand an inch above the injector heads, and could feel an air discharge from the 4th injector.

I was experiencing blue smoke and low idle on a cold start, however this stopped by replacing the following parts!

I purchased them from my local Citroen garage and fitted them without issue. I read somewhere on this site that you should only tighten the two torx head bolts to 5nm, therefore I borrowed a torque wrench to ensure I didn't over do it.

I'm no mechanic Stu but can send you a walk through of the order I removed each component, I dare say someone else on this site could provide a more detailed post but the offer is there!
[/quote]

yes please a walk through would be great.
many thanks.

stu.

Hi Stu,

[/quote]

RE: 1.6 hdi berlingo injector - jcuthy - 07-08-2013

Stu,

As stated earlier in the post, I'm no mechanic but I will show you how I removed my 4th Injector.

Ok, this is my engine with the black plastic cover removed.

[Image: x0p7pi.jpg]

1) Allen Key - remove bolts fastening down the Injector wiring loom. (not necessary but generates space for Injector to slide out)

2) Unclip Electric plugs. (Again, I unclipped the larger plug as well as Injector 4 Plug to gain more room)

[Image: 345heeu.jpg]

3) 8mm Socket - remove Rocker Cover, 7 bolts in total.

4) Pliers - remove metal clip fastening fuel nipple.

5) Fingers - remove fuel nipple.

[Image: r7n3ux.jpg]

At this point, the Rocker Cover will be out of the way and the wiring loom will be loose and able to be "gently" pushed to one side.

6) 14mm spanner - unfasten nut on metal fuel pipe.

7) Allen/torx Key - remove the last two bolts.

Now your Injector will be loose and should slide out, if not, gently prise it out in an upward direction - there's nothing else holding it in.

Ok, now you should be able to remove the Injector with your fingers.

This is what it looks like.

[Image: s661pt.jpg]

With a torch, locate the old Injector Seal which will be at the bottom of the Injector Chamber. I used a torch and made a little hook out of wire to pull in out. (Seal A in the picture below).

With a soft dry cloth, give the Injector and Chamber a good clean out.

In the Picture below are the Injector Seals/Washer I purchased from my local Citroen Dealer.

[Image: 2056ng4.jpg]

8) Seal A can be lowered into the chamber, don't panic if you drop it into the chamber, just make sure it is flat before the Injector returns home.

9) Replace Plastic Washer B if the old one is damaged, this is located 2/3 up on the Injector.

10) I slid the Rubber Seal C onto my Injector rather than fastening it in
place on top of the chamber because it was much easier lining up the Injector when it went back in.

This is where your Seals and Washer go on the Injector!

[Image: sfkwlh.jpg]

Ok now reverse steps 1 - 7 to replace.

Take caution not to over tighten the two bolts (7) which fasten the Injector in place, I'm told they should be tightened to 5 nm. Plus make sure you tighten the bolts evenly, especially if you have slid the Rubber Seal C onto the Injector.

The biggest problem I encountered was re locating the Rocker Cover without kinking the rubber gasket. This took me a couple of goes to get it right.

Good luck and I hope this is of some use...

Stu, forgot to answer your questions mate.

Yeah I removed and replaced the Seal's because I could feel air discharging from Injector 4 (only) on idle. Seal A was worn out, Seal C had split and there was nothing wrong with the Plastic Washer B, but replaced it anyway.

Before I replaced the Seal's, my van's idle was rough for a minute or two on the first ignition and coughed out small amounts of blue smoke from the exhaust, this stopped when the new Seal's were fitted.

No I didn't re-pressurise my fuel rail, not sure if I should have done but didn't experience any issues in not doing so!

The main tell tale sign for me was the sound of short bursts of air discharging.

Regards,

John.

RE: 1.6 hdi berlingo injector - stu76 - 06-04-2014

hi john.

you sent me a few emails back a while ago ref citroen berlingo injector seal replacement, i need your advice can you help me please?

citroen berlingo 1.6 hdi 2008.

i have removed the injector. i have purchased the 3 seals from main dealer.

i have fitted the black washer into the head ok, ive also done the copper at bottom of the injector. the question i have is the white plastic one, how do you fit that 2/3 way up top of the injector or fit it over the little circlip please near top of the injector as cant seem to slide it over the circlip, have you any ideas please? many thanks