Berlingo Forum
towbar and rear parking sensors - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Berlingo Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: towbar and rear parking sensors (/thread-7668.html)

towbar and rear parking sensors - achrn - 30-08-2013

Hello all, I'm new here.

I'm contemplating a new berlingo multispace. I've found lots of useful information here, but one thing seems raised a few times but never quite resolved. A towbar (for trailer, so 7-pin wiring is sufficient) is essential to me, and the 'detection pack' (heated mirrors, cruise control, parking sensors) is desired.

Has anyone found why Citroen say the detection pack is incompatible with any towbar in their brochure?

From prolonged use of the search function here, I conclude that it shouldn't be, and one option would be to get the towbar retro-fitted after leaving the dealer forecourt, but that seems clumsy to me. I'd rather it was all done by one place so if it goes pear-shaped I only need to argue with one organisation.

I note that the car handbook anticipates both towbar and sensors (page 106 - "The system will be deactivated automatically if a trailer is being towed"). I note that service.citroen.com documents also suggest sensors and towbar can work together - part 16088988 80 (towbar) says "Does not disrupt the operation of the rear parking assistance system" and "specifically recommended for vehicles with parking assistance systems" while 16102788 80 (rear sensors) says "the system is compatible with all types of towbar". Even teh towbar wiring loom says it works with sensors (eg 16064892 80 - "the harness ... temporarily deactivates the rear parking assistance").

I don't really understand cars (I'm really not interested in it other than as a way to get from A to B with all the clobber my family accumulates and preferably back again) so I'm worried I'm missing something fundamental.

Thanks for any advice.

RE: towbar and rear parking sensors - steve valentine - 30-08-2013

The towbar is the rear parking sensor Confusedalut:

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

RE: towbar and rear parking sensors - eame64 - 30-08-2013

I've got the detection pack fitted to mine plus a Tow Bar which was fitted when i purchased the Berlingo.There is a parking sensor switch fitted to turn the sensors off when towing.
A couple of pics which i hope will help.
[Image: DSC03641.jpg]
[Image: DSC03642.jpg]

RE: towbar and rear parking sensors - achrn - 30-08-2013

(30-08-2013, 03:33 PM)eame64 Wrote:  I've got the detection pack fitted to mine plus a Tow Bar which was fitted when i purchased the Berlingo.

Thanks, that's helpful. At least I can now tell the dealer I know someone that's got it.

I still don't understand why all the Citroen marketing blurb says it doesn't work, when their own workshop information says it does.

RE: towbar and rear parking sensors - Kickstart - 31-08-2013

(30-08-2013, 02:21 PM)steve valentine Wrote:  The towbar is the rear parking sensor Confusedalut:

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Kindred spirit:thumbsup:

K

RE: towbar and rear parking sensors - mayo13 - 14-03-2020

Hi I'm fitting a tow bar soon does the towbar effect the reverse sensors when they are turned on and you are not towing

RE: towbar and rear parking sensors - Sol - 31-03-2020

Can do indeed. Depends on height and distance from the bumper.