Berlingo Forum
Code reader. - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Code reader. (/thread-9331.html)

Code reader. - bobflem - 29-03-2014

Hi, can anyone recomend a reasonably priced code reader for my berlingo 04, 2.0hdi that will also work on my peugeot partner 03, 2.0hdi.
Thanks in advance.Bob

RE: Code reader. - ntm1275 - 29-03-2014

If by 'code reader' you mean a Lexia with Diagbox/PP2000 software, they can range from £70 upwards

The cheaper ones come with 'hacked' software which can be a pain to install, but works just as well as original Citroen/Peugeot software

If you are good with computers and have a spare old Windows XP laptop (preferably with a clean install), then the hardware is about the same where ever you get it
It will work on 32 bit Vista and 32 bit Windows 7, but is most stable on 32 bit XP

Mine was about £80 off ebay, and the hardware is very good, but the software installation was a nightmare - took me 2 days of fiddling to get the hang of what I needed to do

RE: Code reader. - JohnM - 30-03-2014

I use a basic OBD2 reader off ebay on mine and it works for the basic fault finding. Mine cost less than £20 and it was one of the most useful tools I ever got. Just read the small print in the ad as some are model specific.
You can get LEXIA copies if you have the capability of interpreting the results but a simple reader is O.K. in most instances.

RE: Code reader. - bobflem - 30-03-2014

Thanks for replies , been looking on fleebay at the lexia 3 they tend to vary on diabox version and software version ,and how would i know if it's a clone or genuine . Sorry about all the questions but i just want to make sure i get the right one and best value.
Cheers.

RE: Code reader. - ntm1275 - 30-03-2014

(30-03-2014, 07:06 PM)bobflem Wrote:  Thanks for replies , been looking on fleebay at the lexia 3 they tend to vary on diabox version and software version ,and how would i know if it's a clone or genuine . Sorry about all the questions but i just want to make sure i get the right one and best value.
Cheers.

The software won't be a clone but a 'hacked' version of the original Citroen/Peugeot software
This is probably because the original software is not available to buy and so sometime in the past someone has leaked the software out of Citroen out on to the internet
When validating the software, all the hacked versions use the same verification code, but you must not have the internet on for it to validate with the validation servers
If yo do leave the internet on, it will refuse to validate because the verification code is invalid and you then cannot validate the hacked version either

Because of this 'hack', it can make the installation a nightmare, but if you strictly follow the installation instructions supplied, it will work fine

I must say though, there are certain menus that can link to explanations of faults etc on a Citroen web site for more details, this is not available because the validation code is invalid

If you do get one, it will most likely come with version 7.02, as this is probably the version that was originally leaked
You do however get told where to get the updates, which you have to manually install yourself

Mine had to go from
7.02 to 7.06
7.06 to 7.07
7.07 to 7.11
7.11 to 7.16
7.16 to 7.24
7.24 to 7.36

The Lexia however, is probably the same hardware as Citroen use

It is best when it is installed on a clean install of Windows XP 32bit operating system as this is the most stable, but apparently it will work on Vista and Window 7 but only 32bit NOT 64bit

If you do decide to get one and are having problems installing, let me know and I'll try to help you

RE: Code reader. - bobflem - 31-03-2014

Thanks for the info ntm1275 i will go for the lexia, i have an old xp laptop i can use as well. If i have any questions i know your the man to ask.
Many thanks ,
Bob.