Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2002 1.4 berlingo heater issue
Hi guys

This berlingo is now becoming a none stop problem

Ok so I noticed water leaking up near the bulk head where the heater matrix hoses connect. The one with the bleed screw. Tire cap bleed screw.

Before I noticed it had problems with the heater not being hot and smell of curry.

I know what people are thinking it's also the internal heater matrix but can not see or feel any leak inside the car.
Pulled up carpets nothing there.

Also noticed that when I switch the air to go to feet with the heater on it doesn't blow  out much but if I switch off the heat and but the air-conditioning on the footwear blows strong?

Is it something to do with that electronic module that sits on the fan casing.the silver one?

Questions
What is the part number for the engine bay heater hoses with the connectors and o rings

And what does that silver electronic module on the fan housing do?

Kind regards
Ps be kind I'm a women lol    
Part number for the heater hose assembly I'd
6466 97.

Just can't find it anywhere
This is the part

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If the hoses are the same age as the car, I'd replace the complete set of them, really, and the assembly comes with a new 'knee' joint.
I recently did the same job on my 1999, and boy were the hoses rotten.

The end that connects to the water pump is kind of a pain to reach, though, so I can understand it if you don't want to replace the hoses. (It's easier to reach when you have the head off the engine... )

The part I got with my hose kit, though, has the bleed screw on top.
(M4 size bolt with a 'finger wheel' so it's a bit of an improvement)
Have you tried bleeding the heater? - if it's full of air then it won't leak, or be warm. If you start the car with rad cap off and let the motor warm up a little, then remove the bleed cap you should get some coolant out of the bleed . You can speed up the engine by opening the throttle in the engine bay and it should push more fluid out. Leave to cool and top up the rad.
Don't try doing this on a hot engine with the rad cap on as you'll get pressurised hot water out of the bleed - and risk scalding.
When bleeding a 1.4, it's always a good idea to jack up the front left corner of the car, because the d@mn thermostat housing is NOT the highest point of the engine, so air can be trapped in the head.
Just something to remember. It's probably not important in tis situation, but...

Also, it's not necessary to wait after starting the engine before bleeding the heater loop.
(Assuming this is a non-AC model)
Because the loop for the heater exits the thermostat housing BEFORE the thermostat, so water will always be able to cycle through that system.
Hi guys
Thankyou for your replies

Btw mine is a 1.4 with ac.

Gadgetman,that is what I need the elbow. Mine cracked.
I have tried citroen here in Australia but they say no longer available and I really don't want a second hand one.

Would you know the part number for the hoses and plastic elbow?

Also when you say jack up the front left side, is that thermostat side /battery side?
Sorry little confused as if I'm standing in front of the car it's
Right my right side.
(11-04-2017, 07:53 PM)oilyrag Wrote:  Have you tried bleeding the heater? - if it's full of air then it won't leak, or be warm. If you start the car with rad cap off and let the motor warm up a little, then remove the bleed cap you should get some coolant out of the bleed . You can speed up the engine by opening the throttle in the engine bay and it should push more fluid out. Leave to cool and top up the rad.
Don't try doing this on a hot engine with the rad cap on as you'll get pressurised hot water out of the bleed - and risk scalding.

Thankyou for your reply

Yes I bleed the heater but your right.if there Is air in the system it won't work and won't leak.

Still don't know why it's not blowing on the footwell though?
Also does anyone know what this does

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I got my parts from a third-party parts store on the net, so I can't find original parts no.

The general rule when using left and right on a car is 'from the driver's viewpoint'.

When they say 'No longer available' it usually means 'We don't stock that part by itself because we don't earn enough on it' or possibly 'We can't be arsed to actually help our customers'.
So check the online stores for your parts. With the car's age, it may be an idea to replace the entire hose kit, anyway.

And yeah, you don't want a secondhand part in this case. It's plastic, and has been handling HOT water for many years. It's going to be brittle and may fail soon anyways.