Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Engine won't restart after running for 30mins or more
Hi

I'm hoping for some advice - I've got a weird problem with my 08 Berlingo VTR(90)HDI. Had it 7 years and it's been fantastic

Car starts as normal, but if I go on a trip of 30mins or more and then switch the engine off, it won't restart and only makes a short clicking noise when I turn the key in the ignition. The starter motor isn't turning the engine over. Then, after 30 mins it'll start up as if nothing has happened. My local garage can't find anything wrong and I don't want to take it to the Citroen Stealers. 

Battery is good, connections are tight, key fob works. 

All help or advice gratefully received

Cheers
At a guess it could be the solenoid within the starter motor not moving far enough to reach the 'heavy duty' contacts within the motor, in your case when the unit is warm. Try taking of the motor and giving everything a wash out with WD40 - not sure that the solenoid can be dismantled (as old ones could!) but if it was sticking then it would match the symptoms.
Good luck!
Many thanks, I'll give it a go.
Heat soak affecting the starter would be my guess, if you can short out the starter solenoid when it won't start and it spins (it won't start the engine as it's not going to be engaged with the flywheel) then its the solenoid (providing voltage checks below are ok), if it just clicks then it may well be the motor side of it, check the voltages going to the main +30 and the starter solenoid switch wire for adequate voltage and also check for voltage drop to these from the positive terminal of the battery, also check voltage drop on the earth side by measuring from earth of battery to the body of the starter, anything over 0.5 is fishy if it's clicking, although if the starters jamming up it may drop it more than that... it's hard to describe something I do every day out of instinct and just knowing what to do and test Wink
All points to the starter motor / solenoid. On the 2.0 the starter is fairly simple to overhaul with videos on youtube for guidance. Solenoids should be available separately if needed but a clean & lube may sort it. Not sure about the 1.6 but would have thought it similar to the 2.0.
Try tapping the starter motor smartly with something like the handle of a screwdriver or a small hammer. My Nissan used to do this and a new starter was expensive so I carried a small pinning hammer specially for the job and a couple of light taps would get it moving again.
So where does this bit go then ?
Hi Bob,
This sounds very familiar, take a look at this thread and see what you think, I ended up buying a starter motor off of a eBay sell and getting my local non franchised garage to fit it.
It hasn't missed a beat since.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=htt...are_type=t

Intermittent starting problem

Mark

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
(02-08-2017, 11:21 AM)Satellitemark Wrote:  Hi Bob,
This sounds very familiar, take a look at this thread and see what you think, I ended up buying a starter motor off of a eBay sell and getting my local non franchised garage to fit it.
It hasn't missed a beat since.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=htt...are_type=t

Intermittent starting problem

Mark

Did you refurb the old one?
No, in the end it went to the dump when we cleaned up the garage as I was short of time and figured that if the new one lasts half as long as the original ill go £57 for another and not feel to bad about it !
The refurbishment parts would cost £15 - £20 and at least a couple of hours saving me £35 on a part I may never need.

Mark

Yeah, new starters for the 1.6 seem to be about £50 so fixing an old one is marginal. I fixed my 2.0 Bosch starter for about £12 for brushes and 30 mins cleaning out 12 years of use, new starters (Valeo copies) were about £80 at the time. It's been fine since, but I bought another heavier duty used one for £14 and cleaned that up ready for action just in case.
The 2.0 starter is at the front and takes about 15 mins to remove so not as big a deal as the 1.6 from what I read on your other thread.