Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What model to buy?
So I don't yet own a Berlingo Multispace yet but I do plan on buying one soon, well before November when the leave car goes back, and I'm just trying to figure out what model/engine type I should be looking at or dismissing. Any advice would be great.

Total budget will be around £8K
It'll be a daily runner but also double as a weekend camper van using a Boot jump style system. Daily work commute is around 22 miles on mostly dual carriageway. Annual mileage will be 15k+ 

A lot in my price range are 1.6 HDI Plus/XTR now is that because it was a popular choice or because they are crap and people can't get rid of them? I'm also not adverse to getting a petrol version but feel diesel is the more logical choice. 
Another thing I've notice that wheel chair access versions out weight regular not converted ones.
Personally I would go for a 14 plate one that doesn’t have ad blue (cheaper to run & less to go wrong)
Due to the fact you are spending so much they will all have the newer 8 valve engine, which is relatively trouble free, apart from the odd injector issue.
I would certainly pick a diesel considering you mileage.
Not really sure on all the different trim levels, just get the best looked after well equipped one you can.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lighty for this post:
  • ron
I am not sure about the legislation in the UK, and how it will or not change in the future, but I would try to buy an Euro 6 emission standard compliant diesel. And for this you would certainly have to have Ad-blue. I would look for the 88kW version, BlueHDi with 120 BHP...
Cheers guys.
Am I right in thinking that if it had Ad-Blue that that doesn't work so well on short runs?
(07-08-2018, 08:26 AM)MrDrizz Wrote:  Cheers guys.
Am I right in thinking that if it had Ad-Blue that that doesn't work so well on short runs?

Except for the freezing conditions potential problems (see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid), I don´t see why not buying Adblue cars. They are the same as non ad blue - they also have the eolys additive and the dpf filter (all of them since 2014, the 8 valve motors). The dpf can be more problematic for short runs than anything else, but you will find it in all of the more recent ones...
my thoughts with the ad blue cars is that there is more to go wrong. We have already fitted 2 Elloys tanks on them ( they have Elloys & adblue), and the tanks are very expensive.
There are plenty of other bits to fail also, only time will tell how good or bad they are.
(08-08-2018, 08:11 PM)Lighty Wrote:  my thoughts with the ad blue cars is that there is more to go wrong. We have already fitted 2 Elloys tanks on them ( they have Elloys & adblue), and the tanks are very expensive.
There are plenty of other bits to fail also, only time will tell how good or bad they are.

In my head, It is exactly the same technology (motor wise). Just some more tweaks on the running software, an additional tank with an extra additive (the ad-blue), and an injector that injects it to the exhaust in a position that is post fap (I guess?)...

maybe the tank problem you found is about a specific batch of tanks, or just some downgrading on the quality of the pump/tank parts that should not have happened...the rest, I think, remains pretty much the same. But it is only a conviction of mine, you will be more able to judge this, as you work in the trade...

As the version I own is quite good (the 2015 112bhp fap diesel), I would bet on one of the blue hdi as I told above.

Cheers
I've got a 61 plate Plus model I got s/h at 29k and am really happy with its spec. It's done 70k now.
It has air conditioning & alloy wheels, adjustable wing mirrors, but not some of the other XTR stuff, such as cruise control.
Mine lacked the storage console between the front seats, which was a fine for me as I've fitted a small 12v cooler box here instead (Halfords, £30). Oh and its still got a CD slot as well as the radio so I can play all my favourite CDs, as well as streaming tracks from my iPhone (I use a small FM transmitter which plugs into the iPhone for this).
Thanks again for the info, I'm ready to pull the trigger now but man does the market seem saturated with Wheelchair converted ones. This got me looking at the Partner Tepee which doesn't have as many converted ones.