Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OE Touch screen radio upgrade in an earlier model
Hi,

Does anybody know if the OE touch screen radio that is fitted in current models could be fitted to a pre face lift 2015 car? One that was manufactured before the touch screen was introduced? Somebody told me it could be done with certain functions not working because my car has the integrated radio/driver info screen in the dash and no USB port. I have acquired an OE touch screen but upon first inspection I see the bit at the top above the screen with menu/volume buttons and aux input has terminals at the back for wire connections? My car doesn’t have the wires to connect to these so does anybody know are these wires that come directly from the cars wiring harness or are they just missing off the back of the unit I’ve got? If they are directly from the harness is there any way these can be retro fitted in my car or via some sort of adapter? Any help or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I looked at it, basically you'd need an entire new dashboard wiring harness to make it work. Or at least seriously modify your existing one. A wiring harness from a post 2015 might do it but then you run the risk of other things not having the correct wiring on it.

It would be easier to just install an after market double din unit.
(26-11-2018, 10:30 AM)hawaiianblue Wrote:  I looked at it, basically you'd need an entire new dashboard wiring harness to make it work. Or at least seriously modify your existing one. A wiring harness from a post 2015 might do it but then you run the risk of other things not having the correct wiring on it.

It would be easier to just install an after market double din unit.

Thanks. I’ve been down and talked to a Peugeot tech at a local dealer since I posted and he confirmed that a whole new harness would be required. Theoretically possible but a massive job and simply not worth it. I’ve had an aftermarket unit and just didn’t get on with it so ended up taking it out. I used the touchscreen in a van I borrowed and just fancied it but it’s a non starter in terms of a retro fit.
Yep that's the way I looked at it - it wasn't worth the effort. You'd basically need to find a written off post 2015 car with it all fitted and have the breaker cut the whole A-section out of the car for you to swap all the bits around. Wouldn't be too bad if you found one with Dual zone climate control at the same time so you could fit that too, but just for the radio I wouldn't bother.

I upgraded from the RD4 to the RD45 with bluetooth and the USB socket, it actually works pretty well, the only drawback is you have to use a standalone sat nav. I had an Alpine touchscreen double din in my Defender, that was pretty good to be honest. None of them ever have quite the same simplicity in the menus that any factory fit unit does.