Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aftermarket Mirror Dashcam installation
I have recently purchased this item:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H...UTF8&psc=1

a mid priced unit with rear camera and GPS.

Ideally, I'd like NOT to use the Cigarette Light plug supplied to power it, but rather this item, which I've just bought:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hard-Wire-Cha...2749.l2649

Videos I've watched on how to install, suggest wiring the adapter to the rear of the existing Cigarette Lighter socket?

Also, a single red wire from the rear camera is required to be connected to the +ve of a reversing lamp

(this selects the REAR camera when reversing).

What is the best way to run the wiring for this?

I'm envisaging (seated in the vehicle) behind the LHS windscreen trim panel and then down and across

the passenger foot-well somehow to the centre console (for the Power to the mirror) . .

. . and from the same panel - into the trim above the side doors and into the boot area - then down

for the rear camera location and control wire to connect to the reversing light.?

Is there an elegant way to do this? 

I have bought a set of plastic prising-levers to remove panels hopefully without damage. Rolleyes

Opinions seem to vary as to the best option for mounting the rear (tiny) camera. (OXO cube-sized)

Some say outside, by the number plate, but I'm inclined to think inside would be better? (no rain-spatter) -

remembering the rear window opening, AND/OR the whole tailgate . . . . Glass is tinted too, on mine . .

Any and ALL suggestions appreciated . . . . Cool

parametric
I have a Berlingo M-SP XTR BLUEHDI S/S First Reg. 09/2015 (M59 & B9 Mk2. I am informed . .)
I have the rear camera just duct taped to the inside of the rear window in my M49, and from there the cable to the camera is stuffed over the headliner.(I have the model with ragtop, so it was easy to just remove the rubber moulding around the cutout andget easy access along the length of the roof.)
The brake light cable goes into the headliner, then to the rearmost pillar and slips into it, down to the light cluster.

For the power cable, yeah, will be threaded behind the dash sometime in the future...
Up behing the fairing on the A pillar, up over the headliner, then to pop out at the front, just above where the camera is sitting.

I was planning to add a couple of Lighter type outlets in the glove shelf area, but that adapter you linked looks sweet.

You don't need to hook it to the back of the lighter socket. Any power that is switched by the ignition should work just fine.
I took mine from the fag lighter socket in the rear, fused and took the wire to camera along with reverse switch live. I did put mine outside thought condensation on back windscreen would be worse than rather than splashes.
Took video to front via head lining. but found the rubber pipe from door to body has clips, on pulling it apart from body, the clip stayed in the piller and never seen again (could not get it out with hook wire)
But do like the mirrow idea, but I will be getting twin din radio so wired it for that, at the moment got 6 inch screen glued to one din box. But it works, getting rid of the noisey reverse beepers.
Your Reach is further than your Grasp
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jtr rhyl for this post:
  • parametric
(05-05-2019, 03:28 PM)jtr rhyl Wrote:  I took mine from the fag lighter socket in the rear, fused and took the wire to camera along with reverse switch live. I did put mine outside thought condensation on back windscreen would be worse than rather than splashes.
Took video to front via head lining. but found the rubber pipe from door to body has clips, on pulling it apart from body, the clip stayed in the piller and never seen again (could not get it out with hook wire)
But do like the mirrow idea, but I will be getting twin din radio so wired it for that, at the moment got 6 inch screen glued to one din box. But it works, getting rid of the noisey reverse beepers.

I took the live feed for the monitor from the interior light, the reverse+ for the camera hardwired on the reverse light, the camera signalcabel along the roofliner.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to berreke for this post:
  • jtr rhyl, parametric
(05-05-2019, 11:24 AM)parametric Wrote:  I have recently purchased this item:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H...UTF8&psc=1

a mid priced unit with rear camera and GPS.

Ideally, I'd like NOT to use the Cigarette Light plug supplied to power it, but rather this item, which I've just bought:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hard-Wire-Cha...2749.l2649

Videos I've watched on how to install, suggest wiring the adapter to the rear of the existing Cigarette Lighter socket?

Also, a single red wire from the rear camera is required to be connected to the +ve of a reversing lamp

(this selects the REAR camera when reversing).

What is the best way to run the wiring for this?

I'm envisaging (seated in the vehicle) behind the LHS windscreen trim panel and then down and across

the passenger foot-well somehow to the centre console (for the Power to the mirror) . .

. . and from the same panel - into the trim above the side doors and into the boot area - then down

for the rear camera location and control wire to connect to the reversing light.?

Is there an elegant way to do this? 

I have bought a set of plastic prising-levers to remove panels hopefully without damage. Rolleyes

Opinions seem to vary as to the best option for mounting the rear (tiny) camera. (OXO cube-sized)

Some say outside, by the number plate, but I'm inclined to think inside would be better? (no rain-spatter) -

remembering the rear window opening, AND/OR the whole tailgate . . . . Glass is tinted too, on mine . .

Any and ALL suggestions appreciated . . . . Cool

parametric
As per one of the other replies, I hard wired mine into the feed for the overhead light using one of the type power adaptors you have bought. There is enough room up in the headlining for all that and consequently, all you can see is a small amount of wire that comes out of the front of the head lining to the actual camera. One thing to remember though, a lot of these power supplies are not that well screened and can cause radio interference. I bought some ferrite cores to clip around the supply cable [make sure you buy the correct diameter ones for your cable size]
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Multispacer for this post:
  • jtr rhyl, parametric