Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vents near van rear - their function?
Does anyone know what these are?  

In the van version of the Berlingo at least, towards the rear, on both sides, under the plastic covers (currently removed) there appears to be a vent with 3 hinged covers with rubber like seals.  With a gentle push, these flap into the metal "cavity wall" area and when released, spring back again. 

I ask what these are because I would have cavity insulated these walls entirely if it was not for these apparent vents.  However, I may need to adapt my approach if they need to be kept clear.  

They may be pretty standard in vehicles.  I'm pretty sure I've seen similar towards the rear of other vans.  

Any help is appreciated!
(06-08-2019, 07:52 PM)SheepVan Wrote:  Does anyone know what these are?  

In the van version of the Berlingo at least, towards the rear, on both sides, under the plastic covers (currently removed) there appears to be a vent with 3 hinged covers with rubber like seals.  With a gentle push, these flap into the metal "cavity wall" area and when released, spring back again. 

I ask what these are because I would have cavity insulated these walls entirely if it was not for these apparent vents.  However, I may need to adapt my approach if they need to be kept clear.  

They may be pretty standard in vehicles.  I'm pretty sure I've seen similar towards the rear of other vans.  

Any help is appreciated!

Most vehicles have them in one area or another. I was lead to believe that one of their purposes is to let the "woosh" of air out when a door is slammed.
(06-08-2019, 07:52 PM)SheepVan Wrote:  Does anyone know what these are?  

Any help is appreciated!
They allow air to flow through & help eliminate condensation.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Almost all vehicles have these somewhere. They are the stale air outlet vents. When you turn on the interior fan with all the doors and windows closed, there has to be the same amount of air leaving the vehicle as entering it (otherwise you would be pressurising it). Most are hidden behind the rear bumper or somewhere similar in the boot area. It's also why van bulkheads have to have a ventilated bit in them somewhere, otherwise the airflow in the cab is rubbish (or you have to open a window slightly to allow airflow out)

Close all the doors/windows, and then put the interior fan on full belt, and you'll see them open.