Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corrosion
Hi everyone, registered here as giving some thought to getting a 1.9d berlingo van. I'm after that engine as it seems the most reliable of the range and least modern. The speed and economy shouldn't be an issue to me as I currently drive a toyota corolla  Big Grin .

The corolla is very reliable and has a great engine but is slowly rotting away with a bad case of tin worm and secondly it doesn't make the best van. 

Do the berlingo vans rot or are they pretty good on corrosion?

I used to have one (it wasn't mine, works van) and liked it and don't remember much rust but never really looked underneath. The final nail for that one was the cambelt snapping (1.9d).
pretty decent for corrosion, also sills and parts are dirt cheap anyway if it got that bad lol
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to gotoberlin for this post:
  • jimbo84
Old Berlingos are pretty good at avoiding corrosion, but Id still have a dam good look underneath an early one.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to V6BOY for this post:
  • jimbo84
Thanks, sounds reassuring and better than the toyotas seem.
(17-09-2019, 08:10 AM)jimbo84 Wrote:  Thanks, sounds reassuring and better than the toyotas seem.

1 of the cills on mine has been patched... Wink

2004 ,1.9d Berlingo Multispace.
called Brian... Smile
When the paint finally chips/ flakes off the Sills and lower arches they will rot the arches and the Sills quite quickly, If the paint is flaking off or its bubbling a bit then teat it sooner rather than later. I recently under sealed and wax oiled my dads M59 with a a few tins of Hammertie Underbody seal with added wax oil then used some Comma Wax seal along the "Chassi" Rails, In the rear bump stop cavities, front subframe and most rear suspension component with a few potential rust traps. Also did the front and rear towing eyes.

The Hammerite stuff is messy and will get you high front he solvent but its good stuff and 2 big cans should get the job done no bother with a bit left over to touch up the job if need be. Don't cost and arm or a leg either.
(16-09-2019, 09:26 AM)jimbo84 Wrote:  Hi everyone, registered here as giving some thought to getting a 1.9d berlingo van. I'm after that engine as it seems the most reliable of the range and least modern. The speed and economy shouldn't be an issue to me as I currently drive a toyota corolla  Big Grin .

The corolla is very reliable and has a great engine but is slowly rotting away with a bad case of tin worm and secondly it doesn't make the best van. 

I used to have one (it wasn't mine, works van) and liked it and don't remember much rust but never really looked underneath. The final nail for that one was the cambelt snapping (1.9d).

I swapped my engine from the 1.9d to the 2.0hdi. The 1.9d is nowhere near the reliability of the 2.0hdi deepite the complexity. Just my opinion though.
(11-04-2020, 04:03 AM)Civvic Wrote:  
(16-09-2019, 09:26 AM)jimbo84 Wrote:  Hi everyone, registered here as giving some thought to getting a 1.9d berlingo van. I'm after that engine as it seems the most reliable of the range and least modern. The speed and economy shouldn't be an issue to me as I currently drive a toyota corolla  Big Grin .

I swapped my engine from the 1.9d to the 2.0hdi. The 1.9d is nowhere near the reliability of the 2.0hdi deepite the complexity. Just my opinion though.

Sure About that one...Though the DW8 is just a XUD9 with a electronically controlled mechanical injection pump they are still bullet proof just like the old DW10s so both are just as reliable as each other its just one doesn't take 22 days to reach 60mph. The Good old Days of PSA.
(11-04-2020, 04:03 AM)Civvic Wrote:  

Your engine must be a very abused one because the 1.9d is one of the most reliable engines ever designed and mass produced
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • IHateMyDadsM59Berlingo