Thread Rating:
  • 24 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
MK1 1.9D Berlingo Glow Plug Starting Problem
(06-11-2013, 02:03 PM)wakeymike Wrote:  Hi, I had a similar problem with bad starting on my old 98 mk1. This turned out to be corroded connections in IC02A connector of the engine bay. "Where is this?" I hear you say - well if I can remember it is fastened on the passenger side inner wing of the engine bay below the battery. This unscrews. I bypassed this connector by taking the connection from the fuse box straight to the glow plug relay unit.
There are two yellow wires (which come out of the fusebox) about 3mm dia marked BB10 & BB11. After these go through the IC02a connection they become black with the same markings and connect to the relay.
Good Luck Confusedalut:
If these don't match your van, let me know your RPO number and engine type.

Hi, I've been having problems starting my Berlingo 55 plate 1.9D for about a year now. It has had new starter motor, alternator, battery, glow plugs etc but the problem still remains. It will start after having the key turned til the light goes off but in winter this might have to be done 5 or 6 times and even then it only starts after 10-15 seconds. I've tried to locate this ICO2A thingy by following the two yellow wires from the fuse box but they disappear into the wing cavity. The diagram you show says (by the looks of it) that it should be somewhere under the headlight casing. I have found two things there, one is a round thing with only two thin wires going to it via a small plug and the other is above it and in a black square plastic box, possibly leads to something near the radiator though. Any help would be most welcome as i don't want to risk ruining the starter via another cold winter. Should i be following the BB10 and BB11 wires inside the van to find the ICO2A?, it's all too confusing for me. Changed the fuel filter only yesterday with help from my dad and felt as though i should've got some sort of Oscar for my efforts, that's how crap i am with cars/vans. Maybe you could upload a photo of the ICO2A? Thankyou.

If yours is a 55 plate then it is a Mk2 which don't have these connections.
I would get the glow plugs checked out. :thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • adam3rdcanvey, Gizzi, whitebus
[/quote]

I think i had a look at trying to get them out myself once but as i remember i could only see one as the others were covered by the engine, i will try tomorrow to have a look. Thanks for the help mate Smile
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to wakeymike for this post:
  • Rustscrat, whitebus
[/quote]

Had the battery and alternator checked today (both perfect) and then the glow plugs at another garage and low and behold the guy checks them and they are fine but when he asked me to turn the ignition on and off as he tested them he discovered that the dash light goes off after about 3 seconds but yet the glow plugs carry on heating up for nearly 20 full seconds after!! before going off. Both the mechanics said that i need to wait until the light goes off and then about 15 or so seconds after. Basically i have been starting the van for the past two years on glow plugs that only ever got warm as opposed to letting them warm up long after the dash light had gone out. Good tip for you to tell anyone else who might come on these forums to discuss similar problems. Spread the word, might save someone a fortune. Thanks again Smile
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to wakeymike for this post:
  • Gizzi, whitebus
Hi Rustscrat,

I sounds like I might have the same problem. The car would start, but only after 7-15+ attempts. I replaced the glow plugs and the relay (for a second hand one, though apparently tested) and I still have the same starting issues. I took the old relay apart and saw that the electromagnetic switch still worked when the ignition was turned, but on the replacement relay, I can't hear anything. It is from a different manufacturer, so maybe that's ok? Also, with the key in the off position, should I get a 12v multimeter reading between the relay's two big wires?

I noticed a couple of people talk about using a direct wire as a temporary workaround. What does this entail, i.e. a wire from where to where, for how long and what position should the ignition key be in?

Also, presuming that my replacement relay is ok, do you know where I'd find the IC02A you mentioned? I have a LHD 2006 1.9d.

While reasonably practical, and no klutz, cars really aren't my thing, so if you are able to help, please feel free to talk to me like I'm a 5 year old, as it may be the difference between me understanding you or not!

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Patrick
Hi, I am currently facing eact the problem will take IC02A apart and see whats behind......
Where's this ic02a on an 05 berlingo? Having similar issues....
Nevermind, read above that it doesn't apply, just going to stick a push Upton in and bypass all that guff.
Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
just pull from the relay bolts direct a 4mm2 wire to the glow bolt sorted. the other one direct from battery on 100A fuse.

It's working now bypassed the original wiring with my self made wiring (4mm2) direct from battery with 100A fuse to glow relay and to glow plugs.

here is one picture:

Wiring looks tight but, in real a lot of slack.

[Image: eZ94lj.jpg]