Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Rear shocks
Hi there all , have 1998 berlingo m/space , rear shocks need replacing , one is leaking pretty good considering it is original . My question / query is this,   I  havebeen supplied with a pair of Monroe's by my local motor parts factor. The originals are inverted as in appear upside down to conventional shocks. Do the replacements go in as per conventional or have i been given wrong parts. Have looked at part's on internet and both appear to be available. I know that once fitted the  length of shocker has to be adjusted , is this Monroe usueable or should i get back to supplier and get 'inverted' shocks ?
Sorry to be so long winded
L
So your vehicle will be an M49 (MK1) and they had several versions of rear shock according to the parts database.

It should look like this I believe (p/n 5206 SX - number will be right but the letters change over time) 

You can try going to http://catcar.info/citroen/?lang=en and enter your VIN but I don't think it covers the early numbers.

Alternatively your shocks could look like this but these are the later facelift type I think:

Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • larry46
Thumbs Down 
(15-02-2021, 11:39 AM)Zion Wrote:  So your vehicle will be an M49 (MK1) and they had several versions of rear shock according to the parts database.

It should look like this I believe (p/n 5206 SX - number will be right but the letters change over time) 

You can try going to http://catcar.info/citroen/?lang=en and enter your VIN but I don't think it covers the early numbers.

Alternatively your shocks could look like this but these are the later facelift type I think:

Thanks for those pics , interesting , there is another version similar to your first illustration but with piston road covered by expanding shroud at bottom , fixed to axle. The top is same as illustration with the Allen heade bolt fixing to body. have seen the 'inverted' shocks on many 205 / 306 variants over years . Looking at your second illustration I think i will fit Monroe's supplied and adjust height as per haynes manual , not doing it until next week so any further input is welcome. I have purchased new upper bolts at an eye watering £23 plus dross for 2 bolts and 2 nuts to suit from local Peugeot dealer.
So the M49 and M59 were based on the ZX / Pug 306 / Xsara platform so I know the 306 / Xsara rear shocks fit the M59 but on the M49 they may have started with the ZX parts first and I don't know how different they were (even though I had a ZX many years ago, it was as reliable as a rock and never ever needed repaired the whole time I had it)

Others who still run M49's on here will know for sure. I know on the later B9 the shock has an eye at both ends (unlike other models in the same platform like the 307 that use a rod at one end with a clamp, and an eye at the bottom). The bolts are different diameters so that decides which way up the shock is fitted - yours may be the same in that respect. Those images are from the Citroen parts database in CatCar. It's not infallible but probably better than Euro Car Parts in what they dig up with your registration number.

Best plan is to jump under the vehicle and get a look, they should be pretty easy to see.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • larry46
Need to get under It as you say , they are easy to see looked last week, never thought to check bolt size, shall get under it and see what if anything is different , looks like the rear box will need to come off to allow old bolt out and possibly spare wheel carrier , could do with a clean up anyway.
Thanks for your info , anybody else has anything to add feel free .........forewarned is forearmed lol
L.
(15-02-2021, 09:53 AM)larry46 Wrote:  I know that once fitted the  length of shocker has to be adjusted
  Adjusted ??? got me confused here
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
(15-02-2021, 02:29 PM)geoff Wrote:  
(15-02-2021, 09:53 AM)larry46 Wrote:  I know that once fitted the  length of shocker has to be adjusted
  Adjusted ??? got me confused here

It could be referring to the torsion bars Geoff, but that's not a basic user adjustment. It does say "adjustable suspension" in catcar for one of the different models of shocks available. Or maybe there's some adjustment on a mounting point. Agree it is odd, especially if they (Citroen) don't mean the torsion bars. If they do, the torsions should never need adjusted unless you want to change the height of the car itself.

Otherwise I can't think of what else is adjustable. One thing, that shock picture does look like it had a ribbed collar on the shock below the bellows. Maybe the fully open length is adjustable?
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
The old shocks on my car was not adjustable.

If you have a choice between a set of air-filled or oil-filled shocks, go for the air-filled ones.
Oil-filled shocks will 'leak' internally if they are left laying flat for any length of time, and you have to hold them vertically and extend and compress them completely a few times to get them back to working order. It's possible that the angle they're mounted at can trigger these issues...

The bolts holding them and the nuts are not available from most parts stores, and are a bit costly from the dealers, so take good care of them.
You need a pair of 24mm spanners, or possibly a spanner, a breaker bar and a 24mm socket because they tend to be stuck pretty solidly.
You may need to remove te spare wheel in order to get proper access to one of the bolts on one side, but yeah, not a big issue... assuming that you've been lubing the bolt holding the spare in place...
Since you'll be working with the car up on stands or whatever, it may be a good time to check out the condition of the exhaust, and also look for rust on the underside, and have a go at it.
Yes , shocker length has to be adjusted , according to Cit / Peug workshop manual , when fitting new shockers do as you normaly would , fully depress them appx 10 times ,"  fit to vehicle leaving nuts/ bolts slack , then load rear of vehicle via luggage compartment until a distance between bolt centres of 315mm for van models , or 340mm for Multispace / Combo models is obtained. Tighten the shock absorber mounting nuts and bolts to  110 Nm or 81 lbf ft " Remember this is older model i expect newer models will be different.
Have been at it , all nuts loose , one bolt free to turn others are not , whichi think maybe a pain if allen head doesn't hold but it is exactly as i expected given the age of vehicle and given they are original fitted items. Yes rear box will have to be removed can't get onto bolt head to tap allen key into it , spare wheel carrier may stay where it is , but probably best to remove it it needs cleaning up anyway. Compressing the new shockers before fitting is taking all of my 14st , have left them in vertical position but will give them a bit more compression / extension before fitting . The underside looks in good condition , one brake pipe coming out of compensator will be changed easier to get at with shocker out of way.
Hopefully I will get time tomorrow to carry on with job , thank's for input everybody i will post progress ( or not) when i have some , shouldn't have given up oxy/acetylene contract doh!!
Any more ideas are definately welcome.
L.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to larry46 for this post:
  • geoff
The "adjustment" is not really adjustment it is about setting the preload on the rubber bushes when the suspension is mid travel.

There is a similar but not identical procedure for the springs and shock absorbers on my classic land rover. Everything hjas to be left loose until the vehicle is back on the ground on its roadwheels thus setting the preload on the metalastic bushes.

Peter