Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door lock issue/ problem solution
Having found out that none of the door locks work {never tried them since purchase of vehicle doh]Thought i would post solution as locks looked like it might be a not uncommon problem.Key only went into lock about the third of the way then stopped.Removed lock from door and drilled out the 4 pins that hold the casings together. drilled 2.5mm then tapped the holes  3mm for grub screws. Removed lock barrel and eventually found out what was wrong. Looking at pic down into key hole you can see the posts that  slide along groove in key ,when the key is right in plates should be flush with outside casing. As i couldn't get key in its bit of a faff to get all plates in flush to get barrel out of its housing but got there eventually.At the beginning of the groove in key it is chamfered out to allow the posts in barrel easy access as you slide key in. The post on the second plate down was damaged and the post was resting against the side of the barrel so when you push the key in the post doesn't enter the chamfer at the end of the key it just comes to a dead stop. All the other plates the posts on them were centralish so they enter the key chamfer correctly. Don't know why this happened unless previous owner gave locks some grief to get key in only fixed one lock so far so can't say if its the same problem for all but it looks like it.. You can see the indents punched in the side of the barrel in a channel to keep plates from coming out. Could not get this plate to sit in correct position so just centre punched it so post stayed in centre of barrel basically not used.Re-assembled and works fine.Happy with result 2 more to do.... sometime

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I once bought a Ford and the driver's lock had been super glued. I had to dismantle and clean it out with acetone. You soon learn a bit about locks when you have to.
So where does this bit go then ?
Yeah absolutely. What seemed strange to me was they were all the same. Will find out soon if it’s the same problem on all of them.