Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESP switch
I could not find a reference to an ESP switch in the handbook but that is not surprising as I find the handbook to be somewhat illogical and a bit of a nightmare to use. Blush

I did a search on here but didn't really find much about them. Sad

What is the ESP switch for apart from switching ESP off or more importantly what is ESP really all about? Confused
Stability control.

Yours may be hidden in the "car" menu in the head unit.
2021 130hp 1.5 BlueHDi EAT8 L2 XTR Gris Platinum
ex: 2003 1.4i cargo
It uses the abs system to brake certain wheels when cornering to prevent skidding. There's a g-sensor in the center console which measures forces on the vehicle and if the computer thinks you may lose control, it intervenes with the esp system / abs.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(01-01-2023, 03:47 PM)Zion Wrote:  It uses the abs system to brake certain wheels when cornering to prevent skidding. There's a g-sensor in the center console which measures forces on the vehicle and if the computer thinks you may lose control, it intervenes with the esp system / abs.

So do I press the switch to turn it on?  

I thought the stability option came with a big dial thing on the dash; all I have there is a blanked hole! Confused Confused
Ok firstly it's always on...pressing the switch turns it off. So leave it on.

Secondly, what big dial thing are you on about? You're not meaning an inclinometer as found in jeeps? Stability program is not about angle of dangle - it's about stability while cornering.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
The thing I was meaning in a big hole is this in the pic. Big Grin Big Grin  I thought that was for stability when off road.

I'll leave the ESP on but why do they make it switchable?

It's just in case you want to drive in a spirited fashion, in which case you'd maybe want the esp off. Not in a Berlingo however I'd think.

That hole is a storage bin.

What have you done to your automatic gear selector?
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
You press the button to turn it off, you will get a warning on the dash telling you that it is off.

On my car the ESP automatically re-engages when you reach 30mph, I would imagine most other Citroens / Peugeots would be the same.  (maybe you can turn it off completely on sportier vehicles)

As Zion described in post #3 the ESP system works alongside the ABS system but it also can cut engine power to stop wheel spin, (Traction Control) so if you were stuck in snow you may want the ESP off so you could keep the wheels spinning.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
Here's a weird thing, I have ESP and when I turn it off, the light on the dash doesn't come on. It does illuminate when the ignition is first turned on, but not with the ESP off, and additionally it spins the tyres on wet junctions when trying to get away, regardless of ESP on or off. (I suspect it's actually off all the time or disabled in the configuration settings in the ECU)

I've yet to get the laptop on this van as the usual stuff I carry for diagnostics does not work on the 2017 EDC17CXX ECUs. I hope to find the reason for this when I get round to sticking DiagBox on it.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(08-01-2023, 05:39 PM)Zion Wrote:  That hole is a storage bin.

What have you done to your automatic gear selector?

That hole is where the 4x4 simulator control resides if the car has that system fitted!!

The automatic selector, which drives me nuts, has a more logical labelling now. Wink Cool 

I like that I can slide across the front seats because there is no gearstick tower but TBH I would rather have stick control of the auto.