Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan issue
Hello folks. not been here for a while but then again the car has been no trouble until...

Switched the engine off on Saturday and the radiator fan kept going. Switched the car back on again and it stopped. Switched it off and it started again. Switched the car off and started the engine and the fan stopped. 

Started the car today and realised the internal fans weren't working properly. They are only working on 4 (full power). 

Switched off and on again but no change. 

No warning lights. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks 

Dickl
I don't think these are connected, the internal fan will be only working on speed 4 due to the green resistor failing, sited in the fan housing under the driver's side dash. This circuit is driven by the BSI behind the glovebox.

The radiator fans are driven by a different circuit owned by the ECU in the engine bay. I've attached the cooling circuit for the B9 HDi, hope it helps you troubleshoot it.

1522: 2-Speed Cooling fan electrical control unit (mounted on the upper front left of the radiator)
1320 : ignition injection control unit (Engine ECU)
1510 : Fan

.pdf   Engine Cooling.pdf (Size: 119.22 KB / Downloads: 17)

.pdf   B9 Fan Control.pdf (Size: 296.06 KB / Downloads: 10)
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • dickl
(09-01-2023, 04:28 PM)Zion Wrote:  I don't think these are connected, the internal fan will be only working on speed 4 due to the green resistor failing, sited in the fan housing under the driver's side dash. This circuit is driven by the BSI behind the glovebox.

The radiator fans are driven by a different circuit owned by the ECU in the engine bay. I've attached the cooling circuit for the B9 HDi, hope it helps you troubleshoot it.

1522: 2-Speed Cooling fan electrical control unit (mounted on the upper front left of the radiator)
1320 : ignition injection control unit (Engine ECU)
1510 : Fan

Thanks! Much appreciated. 

I'll check that out tomorrow and see what I can find. Is it possible to replace the resistor without taking it to a garage?
Oh yes. I changed the one in my previous van last year. Needs a 5.5mm socket though, it's a odd size. I got a little 1/4" drive set from Halfords which has a 5.5 socket in it.

Here's my thread (you probably only need the bit about the resistor, I pulled the fan motor too):
https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-201...#pid127842
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Thanks again.

It looks somewhat complicated to me! I'm impressed with your persistence and skill.

I'll have a look at it though and see if I can make any sense of it!

Where did you source the resistor from?

Cheers

Dickl
Thanks as well for the pdfs. Unfortunately I'm not really up to working anything out from them but if I have to take it to a garage they will be useful.
No problem. I got the resistor from a local factors, the part number is in the thread I posted you the link for. If only swapping the resistor, I reckon it can be done in half an hour with a little socket set. Not much labour involved.

I wasn't convinced it was only the resistor, but like a lot of folk I found out that's all it was.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(10-01-2023, 06:58 PM)Zion Wrote:  No problem. I got the resistor from a local factors, the part number is in the thread I posted you the link for. If only swapping the resistor, I reckon it can be done in half an hour with a little socket set. Not much labour involved.

I wasn't convinced it was only the resistor, but like a lot of folk I found out that's all it was.

I had the problem of the fan only working on setting 4 and replaced the resistor unit successfully. I had to cut off some plastic lugs to get it to slide in fully so that I could do up the retaining screw ok. Fitting it was a right pain as in my Berlingo the resistor unit had to be accessed from the driver's side footwell which required some contortion! I watched a youtube instruction about it and this included mentioning that there were lugs that might need to be cut off, so if you're doing it yourself it will be worth searching for this and watching it. Hope this helps.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cliffy for this post:
  • dickl
The resistor is in the drivers footwell on all B9 Berlingos. It's above the electronic throttle pedal and is easiest removed with the pedal off.

And the lugs you cut off, don't need cut off. Once the 5.5mm bolt is removed, you slide the resistor towards the door side, and it unlocks and drops out. Fitting is the reverse, push into place and slide towards the console - put the bolt back in, refit the electronic throttle pedal and bob's your aunty.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(10-01-2023, 06:58 PM)Zion Wrote:  No problem. I got the resistor from a local factors, the part number is in the thread I posted you the link for. If only swapping the resistor, I reckon it can be done in half an hour with a little socket set. Not much labour involved.

Thanks, maybe I will have a go at it myself. A local auto-electrician wants £60 call out fee and £60 and hour. 

I'll see if I can source the part first.