Thread Rating:
  • 20 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
[Engine] fault code reader
Hi Chaps.

I have a bingo 1.9d multispace 05 reg.I wish to purchase a fault code reader.looked on ebay all fcr's appear to be for cars and will not work on vans.This is my question if the multispace is van derived which code reader will work, also whats the difference between obd on vans and cars?
Has anybody got the same setup as myself and knows of a unit that will read.

Thanks pete.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pwykes for this post:
  • northants_guy
I asked the same question a month or so ago. Someone said this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U380-OBDII-OBD...252wt_1158 worked on his 2004 opetrol model and someone else said the u581 was the only one that worked on his 2.0HDi. So far I haven't got round to trying either.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to crickleymal for this post:
  • pwykes
van and car = same thing, obd2 is obd2 no matter what. My vw/seat/audi handheld can read the bingo as well with no problem. Engine type is irrelevent. Some early models are non fully compliant but post-2001 all cars and vans should be full obd2 by law in europe mate.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Hi,

Regarding code readers the OBD standard is misleading, I was looking at generic OBD2 units but read so many reports of them not working on older citroens. In the end I bought the Sealey VS863 for Citroen, Renault and Peugeot and it works on my 04 plate Berlingo 2.0 Hdi and 04 plate Citroen C3 and an 02 plate Renault Clio. I think the OBD2 tends to work on later model cars as 04 and before seems to be a more proprietary standard. The Sealey unit is not cheap you will probably have to pay out £170 plus but it will work. I have got plenty of use from mine and it paid for itself within a few months.

Regards

Robin
(14-06-2012, 06:47 PM)Zion Wrote:  van and car = same thing, obd2 is obd2 no matter what. My vw/seat/audi handheld can read the bingo as well with no problem. Engine type is irrelevent. Some early models are non fully compliant but post-2001 all cars and vans should be full obd2 by law in europe mate.

The one I bought for my Seat Alhambra (a U281 if I recall correctly) refuses to connect to my 1.9D 04 reg Bingo.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
2004 2.0HDi - Scangauge II works
my VAG405 unit works on every car I have tried it on, including a 1996 golf gti...but I guess some don't speak all cpu protocols - and there are a few. Mine tries them all until it gets communication then locks on that one till it is powered off.

Here is the wiki on OBD - you will see from 2001 it is mandatory law that all euro vehicles are compliant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

OBD Protocol used by Vehicle Manufacturer:
ISO 9141-2/KWP2000-4 Many Asian and European vehicles including Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMW, Citroen, Fiat, Honda, Hyundai, Jeep post-2004, Kia, Land Rover, Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault, Saab, Skoda, Subaru, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volkswagen post-2001, Volvo pre-2004.

J1850 PWM Ford pre-2003. Jaguar pre-2003. Mazda pre-2004.

ISO 15765-4 (CAN) Ford, Mazda, Volvo since 2004.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(17-06-2012, 01:00 PM)Zion Wrote:  my VAG405 unit works on every car I have tried it on, including a 1996 golf gti...but I guess some don't speak all cpu protocols - and there are a few. Mine tries them all until it gets communication then locks on that one till it is powered off.

Here is the wiki on OBD - you will see from 2001 it is mandatory law that all euro vehicles are compliant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

OBD Protocol used by Vehicle Manufacturer:
ISO 9141-2/KWP2000-4 Many Asian and European vehicles including Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMW, Citroen, Fiat, Honda, Hyundai, Jeep post-2004, Kia, Land Rover, Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault, Saab, Skoda, Subaru, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volkswagen post-2001, Volvo pre-2004.

J1850 PWM Ford pre-2003. Jaguar pre-2003. Mazda pre-2004.

ISO 15765-4 (CAN) Ford, Mazda, Volvo since 2004.

Thanks for all the replies.The lexia -3 unit looks like the one i,am going to go for as it states that it will work with Bingo's on there web site
http://www.obdchina.com/
Never used one of these beasts before is there any chance of stuffing the ECU?
Pete
They are Chinese copies of PSA dealer kit.

I've heard of no problems with them at all in use. The only thing seems to be they can be a bit tricky to install on your computer - apparently they only like XP
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Coco for this post:
  • crickleymal, pwykes
(20-06-2012, 04:06 PM)Coco Wrote:  They are Chinese copies of PSA dealer kit.

I've heard of no problems with them at all in use. The only thing seems to be they can be a bit tricky to install on your computer - apparently they only like XP

I have just put cruise control on my 04 Berlingo 2.0 hdi using a Windows 7 laptop and the lexia 3 kit, so windows 7 can be used you need to take care installing them. The connection and software do appear a little flaky but with a little time and patience they do work. Sometimes it connects and picks up the VIN other times you have to enter the VIN and the RPO. Its already paid for itself on its first job so definitely worth a look, just use with care and patience.