Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.43 Average
rear axle
can anyone give advice on how to replace the rear axle on a citroen berlingo mk 1 van please? particularly how to remove rear retaining nuts!
Hi, what do you mean by the rear retaining nuts? Confusedcratch:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
(27-07-2012, 03:13 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  Hi, what do you mean by the rear retaining nuts? Confusedcratch:

well there appear to be 2 bolts holding axle to vehicle, at the front, but i cant find the rear ones! apparently theyre a splined bolthead?
Ok, got ya! If you look on the castings where the rear mounts are you'll see a hole. This is where you need to insert a long T50 bit over 75mm long but not with a diameter larger than 9mm.
Have a read of this.

.pdf   rear axle removal.pdf (Size: 103.09 KB / Downloads: 615)

There's a few posts on this subject if you do a search.
Confusedalut:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
(27-07-2012, 06:39 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  Ok, got ya! If you look on the castings where the rear mounts are you'll see a hole. This is where you need to insert a long T50 bit over 75mm long but not with a diameter larger than 9mm.
Have a read of this.

Confusedalut:

many thanks rustcrat, superb advice, just got the job done this weekend, couldnt have done it without your help!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ehill42315398 for this post:
  • Rustscrat
hei,

thanks for that. i was looking for exact this. i have a 4x4. i hope i can do it soon.

regards from tromsø, norway

kevin
I'm in the process of doing this on our 2003/53 peugeot partner combi and thought I'd throw in a few comments from what I've found so far.

I got a recon axle from IMaxles. comes without the various brackets for the brake pipes etc, so they need removing and transferring.

The hub nut is quite big. 41mm - I got a 3/4" drive 41mm socket from a local engineering supplies place (Ripon Engineering Supplies - excellent people) as the auto spares places didn't seem to stock anything big enough. A female 1/2" to male 3/4" adapter was £6.95 from halfords.
There are three 8mm allen key bolts holding the brake drum back plate to the trailing arms.

You can expect to need to replace the bearings, I cant see how you could remove them in a reusable condition. Andrew Page sold me a pair of FAG (good german brand) bearings at £49.95+vat each which was not much more than the cheaper, lower quality items from ecp or gsf. Bearings come with hub nuts and covers.

You'll also likely need to replace the rear flexy brake pipes - I got these from the pug dealer because there are apparently a number of variants and I wanted to be sure....

When it comes to removing the axle itself the bolts on the front are easy enough (T50 torx on mine), but the rear is a bit more complicated. I had a long thin T50 - but at 100mm total length (including socket) it turned out to not be long enough. However there are two 16mm bolts per side on the top of the axle mount which can be removed instead. Passenger side quite straightforward, but one of them on the driver side not possible because the brake compensator is in the way.
In the end I drilled a hole in the boot floor to put a socket drive extension through to access the bolt from above - not the ideal solution but it worked.
(27-07-2012, 06:39 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  Ok, got ya! If you look on the castings where the rear mounts are you'll see a hole. This is where you need to insert a long T50 bit over 75mm long but not with a diameter larger than 9mm.
Have a read of this.

Doing the same job would love to read the pdf

Confusedalut:
Confusedtudy: