Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
OBD2 fault reader
Hi all i have seen a few posts about the best fault reader for a berlingo. Well i recently took a punt on ebay for this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Any-Car-Engine...5d34204938

It arrived this week at a cost of £17.59 delivered, and read the fault code and erased it without any issue.

More than happy for less than £20.

Hope it helps

I should add my Berlingo is MK2 1.9 diesel Smile
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Foxy1975 for this post:
  • andy-womble
After sitting on the fence for absolutely ages and writing quite a bit on here a while back, I never took the plunge to buy one and up until last week the motor behaved itself. Last week the EML came on but reset after several starts. In anticipation of it starting to play silly buggers again, I've just ordered a code reader from the above address. Note that mine is a 2.0HDI model and not sure if it will work but will keep everyone posted of the outcome......
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
The package from e-bay arrived today and with a bit of trepidation I opened it.

Packaged in a blister package, the instrument comes with a booklet of instructions and fault codes and also a CD which I have yet to explore.

Does it work on my 2.0HDI, that was the $6m question I asked myself as I pluged it in and went through the start procedure......

Viola, we're in, it works and there is a fault code logged which hasn't triggered the MIL light, a quick reset to clear faults and away we go....

Yes, it does read fault codes but don't think it will do ABS or some of the peculiar manufacturer specific stuff

Yes, it does enable resetting of the MIL light

No, it won't read the VIN number and that is about as far as I got with it in the limited time available this morning...

Worth the £17.59 I paid, well take your motor to a main dealer and see how much they charge for a diagnostic....

This little baby will remain in the glove box until such times as needed...

Thanks once again to Foxy1975 for giving us the nod on this one
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to andy-womble for this post:
  • hogie
Your welcome Andy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Foxy1975 for this post:
  • andy-womble
Looks good. I assume therefore that it will do a 2004 1.9D. Next thing to buy then.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
(12-09-2012, 06:58 PM)crickleymal Wrote:  Looks good. I assume therefore that it will do a 2004 1.9D. Next thing to buy then.

Certainly worth a try at the price, if you do buy let us know the outcome.....

Think there were still plenty left for sale....
Mine is the 2004 1.9. So should be fine.
I just bought a blue ELM327 Mini OBD-II reader from Flebay and tried it in my '04 2.0HDi. It seems to work fine with the Android Torque app, but didn't have a chance yet to do any extensive testing as I won't be on the road till the weekend.
Just wondered if anyone else has experience with one of these, do you leave it connected all the time?
ELM327 and whatever the version 2.1 or something are ok for smart phone people. They require connection via bluetooth, they take a while to connect, some times they do weird things like stop reading in the middle of your drive but they offer a lot more via apps and an read a lot of useless data that you still don't understand and can't help you trace the problem. Like when the number on the fuel pump keeps running and you are trying to guess if its on it's way out because of missfire. You replace the fuel pump, the numbers are pretty much the same but car runs like a champ again.
Another thing is with these ELM devices, sometimes the app assholes will obsolete their own app. Let's say for instance you run Torque.v.1.8.56, everything connects first time, it reads fine, few weeks you decide to update to say Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) Patched v1.8.89. Suddenly it no longer read your 2003 car, may read newer stuff like Mazda CX-5..........what's the point. After a while you realize the only time you use the ELM327 is just when you check OBD2 error codes on friends cars. Now we are getting to the point I'm trying to make. Don't buy an ELM327, just get a cheap 5-10gbp reader on aliexpress/ebay with it's on screen, via cable, reads 90% of the cars and it brings and resets the codes a lot quicker.

p.s I don't leave the ELM plugged in 24/7 but I guess it shouldn't be a problem. I barely use it and I hardly look at the fancy gauges I have set. It may be more useful if you have a dashcam and you want to overlay some statistics like in the youtube videos or you need to keep track of your millage and costs. I doubt it will be bug FREE
Interesting stuff, I could well believe that some apps have upgrades that stop earlier features working. For me, the ELM cheapo was only intended for a bit of initial testing to see if the car would respond, 2003/4 was the intro year for OBDII on diesels so wasn't sure if mine would work.

Do you have an example of the on-screen / cable version that you mentioned?