Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.3 Average
Tailgate won't open - Help please!
Hi all,

2004 Multispace HDi. Tailgate firmly shut. Sounds like it is unlocking and locking with the remote and key. Just won't open. Handle "feels" connected, but that's all I can tell you.

Has anyone had this issue before? Does anyone know how to fix it or at least get the back door open so I can have a look? Obviously I can get into the boot by moving the rear seats, but not convenient for a pram..Big Grin

Any help, ideas, diagrams etc gratefully received.

Kind regards

mike
Hi Mike

It is fairly easy to get at the mechanism from inside the car. Once you have climbed into the boot, you should be able to prise off the plastic trim sheet. Do this gently as the fixings break quite easily. Once this is off, you can see the lock mechanism and look at what is going on.

Mine had the reverse problem in that it wouldn't lock, and was just a case of needing a clean and a squirt of oil. There are a couple of push-on connecting rods that do come apart fairly easily, so it may be that one of these has come adrift.
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Chris for this post:
  • mikep1973, ron
(12-09-2012, 04:08 PM)Chris Wrote:  Hi Mike

It is fairly easy to get at the mechanism from inside the car. Once you have climbed into the boot, you should be able to prise off the plastic trim sheet. Do this gently as the fixings break quite easily. Once this is off, you can see the lock mechanism and look at what is going on.

Brilliant, thanks Chris. One of my concerns was how to get at it - I couldn't see any screws to take the trim sheet off. I did gingerly have a tug, obviously not hard enough. I'll have a go tomorrow and report back..
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mikep1973 for this post:
  • taxi
Rear panel just pulls off. Have to be firm, with the tongue in the right place. All the clips pulled out without breaking..

Lock hidden behind crappy foam sheet. Pic of my bodge attached. Someon might be able to see on Service Citroen what's broken. I couldn't find anything in the bottom of the door that had gone missing:

When the handle is operated, it pushes the black bar with the bolt through it down. This pushes the white plastic thing down and releases the door. Whatever was where the bolt is now had gone missing, so it wasn't hitting the white plastic thing. The bolt - on the other end of it is a "washer" made from petrol pipe which now contacts the white plastic thing - has been used as a bodge for now. The white plastic thing moves to the left by about 5mm when the door is locked, so that no contact is made when the handle is operated, thus the door does not open. When unlocked, it moves back to where the bar can hit it. It seems a bizarre arrangement. Anyway, for now it works. I suspect the correct part is bloody expensive and awkward to fit.

If anyone knows what that part is that I'm missing, I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mikep1973 for this post:
  • taxi
Is this any help Confusedcratch:

[Image: 347ipau.jpg]
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • taxi