Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.71 Average
Repair? Scrap? Buy another?
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and wanted to pick people's brains.

I've had a Berlingo Multispace 1.9D for about 5 years now. It's a '51, with 70,000MLS on the clock ( VIN: VF7MFWJYB65790501). Last month I had an accident (ran into a tailgate flap which was in the raised position sticking out into the road). The damage was total wreckage of the passenger front door and wreckage of the rear sliding door. The central post was slightly nicked by the corner of the truck's steel flap but doesn't appear to have damaged the alignment (as observed just by the naked eye)
The car was valued with a low 'buy-back' value (£300) and since I know the history of the vehicle (I bought it from the original owner) and its low mileage, I accepted to buy it back and see if I can sort out the repairs myself. I'm a practical DIY'er who has built extensions, re-wired and done my own plumbing, but when it comes to cars, have always found 'Haynes manuals' difficult to follow, if only because you always come to the part where you need a special tool. Hence I've always palmed this work out to a mechanic we know.

I really love the Berlingos. As a musician, it allows me to cart equipment in it, it's great for the family. In fact, we've got a Vauxhall Meriva as a 'hire car' from the insurer's at the moment and I hate it. I am not prepared to buy a new car because of the number of idiots on the roads these days (I should add, this is my first accident in 30 years of driving.....and one which I couldn't reasonably be expected to predict, hence the third-party payout).

I've seen a gold '51 Berlingo advertised locally with many more miles on it (124000....though fror this diesel engine I suppose it's still low) and the seller's looking for £900 for it.

So any thoughts on what to do?

I'm going to contact some breakers' yards locally (north Manchester) and see what they've got and what they think.

Thanks for any advice given.

Al
Hi Al

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your accident. If the damage is limited to just the two doors then I would have thought that replacements from a scrap car would be a simple way forward. Can you get a copy of the assessor's report in case there is more damage?) You might be very lucky and find ones that are the same colour and spec. (electric windows for example). As you know the rest of the car, and are otherwise happy with it, I would be loathe to buy something unknown, with higher mileage, and likely to have its own problems.

Have you had any quotes for second hand doors yet? There are usually several ads on eBay for Berlingos that are being broken for parts in case you haven't looked there. Good luck with it.
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

althemusicwizard
We need pictures of broken doors and parts.
We'll tell you price for new spareparts.

In fact.
Price for one hinged door - approx 450 EUR and for one sliding door 380 EUR it is not so much.
Try to find price for doors for Opel Zafira Smile

I have seen today on eBay (used) front doors £25-£50 rear sliding door £85. Can you tell us the colour and whether near-side or off-side?
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Thanks for the replies.

The colour of my Berlingo is 'red' (on the V5 form). It's a kind of 'bergundy' or 'wine' colour rather than a bright red. I think it's a MKI shape and have posted some pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33383402@N0...otostream/

The damage is to the passenger side.

Cheers,
Al

Alth.

Thank you for pictures

Go to service. You'll never do this repair without special equipment.
If you need body sizes and gaps, we'll send you.
looking at the pictures I would check by the front door hinges that the pillar is not bent if ok then go for two scrap doors of the same colour you can always check by measuring the other side at key points that all is ok but it doesnt look too bad from the photos try and get complete doors as that will make it easier.
Just a word to say thanks to those that replied. I sourced a couple of doors from a breaker's yard (£115) , had them sprayed (£150) and fitted them myself. I've uploaded some pics to show the car now. It's good to have it back!

Al
Glad to hear it Al, and cheers for getting back to us.
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

Looks a very good repair, well done.