Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 2.89 Average
Diesel v Petrol
Hi,
I am considering a new or nearly new Berlingo and wondered what peoples thoughts are on the diesel v petrol choice. I don't seem to see many problems with the petrol models on the net but lots of diesel queries. Is this because not many people buy a petrol Berlingo? Are the petrol Berlingos a decent buy? After a lot of problems with my current turbo diesel (new turbo and intercooler in 16,000 miles) I'm more than a little wary of diesels and their running costs.
Cheers.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BrianOblivion for this post:
  • VanFanDan1984
I think it depends on what you are going to use your vehicle for. If its for a leisurely low mileage, then you would be suited to the petrol just as any other vehicle. But it you are talking about purchasing a van, or for that matter doing a lot of miles, the diesel is your best bet. We have had 300k out of the 2.0L HDI and 100K out of our last 1.6, with no major mechanical faults. Don't get put off diesels from one manufacturers engines, we have found the Citroen HDI engine to be a great workhorse. (No failing turbos like a few Astra van owners i know Tongue).

Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

I'm reckoning on 18,000 miles per year, 250 miles a week commute plus 4/5 k on holidays/long trips. My current car has a 1.8 TDCi engine (Ford) which i thought was from the same family as the Citroen Hdi. The DPF and that top up fluid sounds worrying. Are the 1.6 HDi's all fitted with such gubbins?

[/quote]

How long do you think you would keep the car for? If buying new you would be getting a three-year warranty (or the balance if nearly-new) so there should be some peace of mind, at least to begin with.

2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

I tend to be a "until the wheels drop off" owner. Never had a new or nearly car before but if the price is right long term ownership would seem to make sense, I'd know the previous driver and their habits very well!
Overall I don't want to be buying into a money pit, I like the Berlingo concept, it suits my wants and needs, I'd like 100k of reliability whether its petrol or diesel. I can stomach low mpg if its not too bad, my last Mondeo estate 1.8 petrol did about 34 mpg overall.
Certainly the Mk 2 (M59) with the 2.0HDi has none of the DPF/fluid worries, but they are 3 or more years old now. The HDi engine has proved reliable across the PSA range and when fitted to the Berlingo only came in the very understressed 90BHP - non intercooled version.
(03-05-2011, 11:28 AM)Andre Wrote:  I think it depends on what you are going to use your vehicle for. If its for a leisurely low mileage, then you would be suited to the petrol just as any other vehicle. But it you are talking about purchasing a van, or for that matter doing a lot of miles, the diesel is your best bet. We have had 300k out of the 2.0L HDI and 100K out of our last 1.6, with no major mechanical faults. Don't get put off diesels from one manufacturers engines, we have found the Citroen HDI engine to be a great workhorse. (No failing turbos like a few Astra van owners i know Tongue).
Or Vauxhall Combos with the Fiat 1.3 TD Multijet engine.
Loads of faults, just ask the Royal Mail...

Yes, my wife has a corsa fitted with the 1.3 CDTI fiat engine. One word for it and it starts with s and ends with t.

Had issues with her turbo despite only 30k on it. Shortly will be for sale!!

I've a petrol Berlingo although the older 2004 model. It's done nearly 80K and been good bar a starter motor, although most has been run on LPG, which is allegedly kinder on the engine?

Certinly the 1.6 petrol models are fairly rare. Quite a few old 1.4 ones about, but most were sold as diesel as when I got mine they were really pushing the old basic 1.9d engine. Went against it as the mpg was the same as the 1.6 petrol, so couldn't see the benefit as it was slower and desiel more expensive.

The 2lt hdi was a far better mpg, but at that time was a bit out of my price range.

ps have to say the wife's corsa has made me a tad more wary of desiel engines, especially when they are only driven on around town type driving.
(03-05-2011, 11:21 AM)BrianOblivion Wrote:  Hi,
I am considering a new or nearly new Berlingo and wondered what peoples thoughts are on the diesel v petrol choice. I don't seem to see many problems with the petrol models on the net but lots of diesel queries. Is this because not many people buy a petrol Berlingo? Are the petrol Berlingos a decent buy? After a lot of problems with my current turbo diesel (new turbo and intercooler in 16,000 miles) I'm more than a little wary of diesels and their running costs.
Cheers.

Hello,I have had Citroen diesels for 12 years & no problems to speak of.My last citroen(C15 1.8D),developed a weep from the top of the diesel pump £60 for new seal & fitting at 180,000 miles & almost put me off them for life.Wink
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(03-05-2011, 09:18 PM)ron Wrote:  Hello,I have had Citroen diesels for 12 years & no problems to speak of.My last citroen(C15 1.8D),developed a weep from the top of the diesel pump £60 for new seal & fitting at 180,000 miles & almost put me off them for life.Wink

I hope you took that up with Citroen. Those seals should last at least 185k! :eek: