Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Power steering noise
Hi
I've just had a new cambelt fitted to my mk2 1.9d van and now the power steering is making a noise when I turn the steering wheel. It's louder when I'm stationary.
Are the two related or is it just bad luck that my power steering has developed a fault?
Hi there. The serpentine belt drives the steer pump, I wont embarrass us both by asking if there is plenty of oil in the pump?,...oops I just did, ignore that, .... the serp belt would have been removed to fit the timing belt, was a timing belt kit fitted or just the belt ?...(just the belt is very naughty )....if just a belt was fitted, the re-tension can sometimes highlight a poor idler / water pump bearing, maybe its one of those that is making a noise when the engine revs adjust as the steer pump loads up at a stationary idle, maybe its the alternator, check the serp belt tension is correct, maybe too tight / slack, is it fitted correctly with all the belt grooves aligned with the pulleys, a misaligned serp belt will "creak n squeek", in fact, did the mech fit a new serp belt?, if he/ she did, then the noise could be the new belt running in so try a bit of french chalk on the contact side of the serp belt, (NOT THE TIMING BELT) you will find some in a bicycle puncture repair kit.
To track the noise, Press a long screwdriver or socket extension or similar metal bar onto the steer pump, then put your ear to the other end, asses the noise then test other items like the alternator, vacuum pump, inj pump, you will soon track the noise down.