Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.13 Average
Introduction and gearbox fault
Hi to all,just joined tonight.Had a Berlingo multispace 20HDi for 5 years now.Never let me down till this evening.Gearbox mounting has gone taking the thread out of the bolt holes in the gearbox casing with it-appreciate any ideas or thoughts on a repair? Many thanks.
You could get away with fitting a helicoil?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert

Welcome to the forum.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
Hi,mentioned that to the AA recovery man,he seemed to think that might not be a solid repair- not sure why tho?
Hi Elvis

Thats a tricky one. When I did my clutch recently I had real difficulty getting the single mount bolt out of the bracket that is held by the 2 bolts. The 2 bolts which I assume you are meaning were secured with loctite or similar into the box and incredibly difficult to remove.
I have used various helicoil inserts in the past but I don't think there would be sufficient 'meat' in the casting of the box to hold it.
It would be a right p.i.t.a to do the job and find the same thing occurs soon after. Bearing in mind that the bracket arrangement supports one end of the engine and the gearbox I think I would be inclined to go for something a little more sturdy and permanent.
Cant remember the exact set up and dont know how mechanically minded you are but the following ideas come to mind.

1: Remove and strip the box, see if it is possible to drill out existing threads, drill the box and use bolts from the inside of the box out, secure with nuts then place bracket on top and nuts on the top.
2: Find a knackered box and strip for the casting.
3: See if there are other 'spare' mounting points you could use and fashion a suitable bracket.
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut:
Welcome along mate, nice engine in there :thumbsup:

Good luck with the fix, someone will help you out...
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

Yep your right about the loctite stuff on the 2 bolts- did my clutch last year to,boy those two bolts were tight to remove! Looks like the only road I can go down is a second hand box.Dont mind that to much she's done a 160,000mls so I've had me moneys worth out of the box. Thanking you guys for your help and advise, will let you know what the out-come is. Cheers.
Dont know exactly what box you have but guessing its a BE box over an MA box have a look at the attachment. Item 9 is the area concerned with your box if its a BE box. Reckon you could modify it or replace it without the expense of a new box??????? Please post your solution when you sort it! Confusedalut:

Attached Files
.pdf   gb.pdf (Size: 195.55 KB / Downloads: 10)
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut:
(17-05-2011, 07:31 PM)Westewellelvis Wrote:  Hi to all,just joined tonight.Had a Berlingo multispace 20HDi for 5 years now.Never let me down till this evening.Gearbox mounting has gone taking the thread out of the bolt holes in the gearbox casing with it-appreciate any ideas or thoughts on a repair? Many thanks.

Hi & welcome to the forum.That's a real bummer,but I must say I have had good results with helicoils,but I don't know how much "meat" you have on the case & accessability is probably non existant.I can only wish you the best of luck.Can you get the case welded & re drilled?
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy