Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearstick rattle in 5th
(13-02-2018, 05:30 AM)kirk9704 Wrote:  Please help. I have a 64 plate 1.6hdi berlingo with 52k on clock. The van has developed a rattle on the gearstick when in 5th gear but only when accelerating as soon as I take foot of pedal it stops. Any help appreciate as it driving me mad.

Hi, I had this exact problem on my previous vehicle, a c4 picasso. I believe they both share the same gearbox. I initially thought the problem was worn bushes in the linkage. By applying slight sideways pressure to the gearstick, I could get the rattle to stop but I could actually feel some vibration coming up into the gearstick when i did it. I checked the bushes and they seemed fine. Nothing loose,nothing broken.
I took it to the local main citroen dealer who diagnosed a knackered syncro assy. 
He said it wasnt common, but not unheard of with these gearboxes. I was shocked as the vehicle had covered less than 40k at the time Exclamation He put the fault down to the bad practice of driving along with a hand resting on the gearstick whilst in 5th gear. With the gearstick being fairly high up, he said the weight of the hand pulling downwards put a slight but constant pressure back though the linkage and into the box, causing premature wear of the syncro. I had never heard of such a thing but replacing the said parts at at the horrendous cost of £800 Angry cured the fault. Even though I suspect the damage was well underway before I even purchased the vehicle, Im now totally paranoid & never, ever leave my hand on the gearstick when not actually changing gear!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to oldbury863 for this post:
  • kirk9704

Messages In This Thread
Gearstick rattle in 5th - by kirk9704 - 13-02-2018, 05:30 AM
RE: Gearstick rattle in 5th - by oldbury863 - 07-03-2018, 12:49 AM