Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[Engine] 1.6 HDi hints
Hi
Just to sum up a few hints with this finicky engine.

--- Replaced Turbo at 110 k Km because of play in shaft.  At the same time removed filter  from Banjo joint feeding the oil to the turbo.  Removed and cleaned oil sump.  Removed the siff   on oil pump intake (half clogged up).
 At the same time Engine flush and oil change with filter, which I repeated after 2k Km and 6 K km. I also drilled a 4 mm hole into the pipe from air filter to turbo, just before it enters the turbo to drain away the spit from the breeder system.  At the same time remove the inter cooler and clean thoroughly,  the oil collects there.
Removing those two filters is a must in these engines.

---Replaced all injector seals including the rubber rings, which were worn. One was badly stuck and broke when removing it, so had to replace it.  The Problem is, that water gets in-between injectors and sleeve and the seize.  So it's advisable to clean them and grease them well before refitting them and to remove them every 2 - 3 years so that they won't seize again.

-- Fit EGR blocking plate ! This is a must in these engines, as otherwise the oil is black and gritty in no time. i change my oil and filter every 10 k km.

-- Timing gear: at 128 k km I replaced the auxiliary belt + timing belt + tensioners +water pump, (which was just starting to leak and if seized could have easily killed the engine. As there was a small oil leak on the camshaft cover, I decided to get a seal kit including timing chain + tensioner.  As it turned out, the timing chain had worn due to burnt oil, and by that the timing was out which caused engine pinging. the rocker cover turned out to be warped and needed replacement too. At the same time I also replaced the servo pump seals (bosch type).

Over all, I spent 700 + Euro on this engine within one year and hope now after everything is rectified, that the engine is reliable.