Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.6 HDI Cutting out!!!
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have an 06 1.6HDI with 120k on the clock. Never missed a beat and regular servicing/oil changes. I do quite a lot of motorway driving at a steady 50mph.

About a month ago the van started struggling and started to cut out on the motorway! I managed to get it started while still coasting but it usually takes 3 attempts. The management light comes on and usually disappears after a few days. If it reappears it cuts out. It's thrown up codes P0087 - low fuel rail pressure and P1113- AIT sensor. I replaced fuel filter and nothing improved, I looked at diesel that poured out of old filter and it looks pretty clear(few small black bits)

The other day I cut out and couldn't get it started for about 30 mins. Recovery guy said it's probably in tank pump that's gone but I don't think I have one as it's got a priming bulb. 

2 garages have had a look and they can't see anything as it runs fine for them. 

It still regularly cuts out but only after about 30-40 minutes of driving on motorway?

Any ideas as I realise that problems on the high pressure side of the fuel system can be expensive to rectify!!

Thanks in advance.
Jack
Bad connection on pressure sensor ??

If the PRV was wonky you'd expect it to play up all the time.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
Small black bits in the diesel is not good and needs further investigation, the diesel should be crystal clear!
(23-03-2016, 09:50 PM)Jack09 Wrote:  Hello,

About a month ago the van started struggling and started to cut out on the motorway! I managed to get it started while still coasting but it usually takes 3 attempts. The management light comes on and usually disappears after a few days. If it reappears it cuts out. It's thrown up codes P0087 - low fuel rail pressure and P1113- AIT sensor. I replaced fuel filter and nothing improved, I looked at diesel that poured out of old filter and it looks pretty clear(few small black bits)

The other day I cut out and couldn't get it started for about 30 mins. Recovery guy said it's probably in tank pump that's gone but I don't think I have one as it's got a priming bulb.

It would be best to connect your car to Lexia. Then click on error code to get detailed description and post those pictures here on forum.
In that detailed Lexia screen you can see other engine parameters that can give us more clues.
Also, you can connect oscilloscope to fuel pressure sensor and see if your high pressure pump is OK.
I can send you details for oscilloscope test if you need one... 
First go with lexia. It is much easier...

If you have priming bulb you don't have tank pump.

Best regards,
brajomobil
Hi, thanks for the reply. It is looking like the high pressure pump is on its way out. I also have a glow plug fault so will change the plug first in case!! Can anyone tell me where the high pressure pump is located? Is it way to read the part number without removing it?
Thanks again!!
(03-04-2016, 01:25 PM)Jack09 Wrote:  Hi, thanks for the reply. It is looking like the high pressure pump is on its way out. I also have a glow plug fault so will change the plug first in case!! Can anyone tell me where the high pressure pump is located? Is it way to read the part number without removing it?
Thanks again!!

First change fuel pressure sensor! Don't go with pump until sensor change...

Best regards,
brajomobil
Hi just an update on the problem. It's now been resolved. Turned out to be a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor.
Reason it took so long as mechanic said he had never known one to go but it threw up high and low pressure faults.
New one for £25 and all sorted.

Thanks for advice!
Done plenty of pressure sensors, prob twenty over ten years so not common, but not unheard of, glad you got it sorted