Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berlingo Oil changes
Now I'm guessing that a lot of people on here [by the fact that they are members of this forum] do their own servicing. My question is regarding oil changing. From the days that I owned my Citroen ZX diesel and all my Citroen diesels after that, have always changed my oil every 6000 miles [My ZX 1.9TD Estate had done 250000 when I sold it on!]  and I will continue to do so with my current [2008] B9 type Berlingo that I acquired recently to replace my M59 Berlingo that was written off. The fact that I change my oil every 6000 means I do about three oil changes a year. It can be a bit of a pain getting the undertray off and back on again while not a major issue, I just wondered what people think about using syphon type pumps to suck the old oil out? While to me, it seems to go against everything sensible, in the fact that when using the drain plug you are hopefully getting out all of the c**p that is sitting in the sump, it seems that many garages, including some of the very upmarket marques, think it's fine to suck the old oil out?   

And just in case you're wondering, I do use good quality oil [Total Ineo Quartz ECS] which I buy in bulk, enough for about 6 oil changes, from Nielsen's which works out at a very reasonable price.
ive got one for doing the gearbox, transfer box and diffs on my wifes 4x4 but use it for refilling them rather that emptying them.
multispacer do not suck the oil out you'll be doing your self no favour's you must have the engine up to temp to do the oil service then take the oil filter off first have some thing to catch the oil spill or it will be all over the gear box then drain the oil from the sump other wise you will end up with turbo trouble keep the oil change under 8'000 miles you will be OK. Wink
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

(30-03-2016, 09:31 PM)Multispacer Wrote:  Now I'm guessing that a lot of people on here [by the fact that they are members of this forum] do their own servicing. My question is regarding oil changing. From the days that I owned my Citroen ZX diesel and all my Citroen diesels after that, have always changed my oil every 6000 miles [My ZX 1.9TD Estate had done 250000 when I sold it on!]  and I will continue to do so with my current [2008] B9 type Berlingo that I acquired recently to replace my M59 Berlingo that was written off. The fact that I change my oil every 6000 means I do about three oil changes a year. It can be a bit of a pain getting the undertray off and back on again while not a major issue, I just wondered what people think about using syphon type pumps to suck the old oil out? While to me, it seems to go against everything sensible, in the fact that when using the drain plug you are hopefully getting out all of the c**p that is sitting in the sump, it seems that many garages, including some of the very upmarket marques, think it's fine to suck the old oil out?   

And just in case you're wondering, I do use good quality oil [Total Ineo Quartz ECS] which I buy in bulk, enough for about 6 oil changes, from Nielsen's which works out at a very reasonable price.
I've used a suction drainer on my M59 2.0HDi and all my other cars for at least 10 years now and never had any issues. A couple of tests I've done have shown me that it gets all the oil out that would come out if I drained it via the sump plug. I've also taken enough sumps off to know that the crud generally doesn't come out with the oil when it's drained anyway, it forms a layer of goo on the bottom of the sump over the years!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I have used the suction drainer and they do a perfectly good job.
Regardless of whether you drain from the sump, there's always bits of oil left and that's proven by the fact that on a diesel, the oil is dirty straight away after a change, so I really don't think it makes much difference.
The purist will say otherwise but for regular changes suction is much easier.
By the way, on my berlingo I fitted a quick drain plug where you replace the sum plug and the new one takes a hose that you just screw on and drop it straight into an old oil tub.
A great option for speed and no mess.
Although I forget the name of the sump plug but it costs about 25 quid with the hose attachment.
Oil drain procedure for 1.6hdi engine here. C4 forum but same engine as Berlingo. The idea that as much oil as possible is drained out to avoid sludge build up which blocks turbo oil feed & specifcally warns against suction methods.
Quite right, the 1.6 is one engine where you do not want to do a substandard oil change for the sake of saving a few minutes.
Multispacer, I question your 6,000 mile oil change interval. I used to change the oil and filter every 12,500 miles on my previous 2010 1.6 HDi (drove it for 334,000 miles), and I now have an identical looking van, which Citroen say only needs an oil change every 16,000 miles. However, I'm changing the oil every 14,000 miles, because I do a lot of high speed motorway driving.

As for the engine undertray, I cut a sump plug access hole in mine, which is covered by a home-made plastic cover. I hope the link below will show a picture of what I did:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihz4sjojb5i7v9...9.jpg?dl=0
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to CourierJim for this post:
  • Chris Baker, doofer, Harrythephot
(31-03-2016, 09:53 PM)CourierJim Wrote:  Multispacer, I question your 6,000 mile oil change interval. I used to change the oil and filter every 12,500 miles on my previous 2010 1.6 HDi (drove it for 334,000 miles), and I now have an identical looking van, which Citroen say only needs an oil change every 16,000 miles. However, I'm changing the oil every 14,000 miles, because I do a lot of high speed motorway driving.

As for the engine undertray, I cut a sump plug access hole in mine, which is covered by a home-made plastic cover. I hope the link below will show a picture of what I did:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihz4sjojb5i7v9...9.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for the picture of sump access hole picture. I think that's great, a brilliant job.  I was looking to do something similar to my wifes' Pug (also 1.6HDi engine) but we had to get rid of it. Removing the belly plate was a pain.  Angry

Regarding the use of suction hoses. Yes, PSA recommend not to use suction extraction methods. However, if you have the difficulty of removing a belly pan, the suction method might still be acceptable, especially if you are changing oil every 6-8k miles. Probably not a good idea if you intend to do the 12,500 mile changes with normal driving.

Given yours is predominantly motor way driving, 14k changes, 2k below the recommended changes, should be fine.

On my Bingo van, I don't have a belly pan so it's via sump plug for me every time. Every 6-8K. :-)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to RocketVANman for this post:
  • CourierJim