Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] white smoke
we had just made a  short journey & turning around in the yard it kept cutting out then chugging & blowing out thick clouds of white smoke, as we only bought it 4 days ago we thought the worst, however husband got out the magic spray [damp start] & a miracle happened, instant start, not a cloud to be seen & running fine, don't know how long it will last tho.
Be carefull with that magic stuff,the engine will get to relay in it,,
(02-11-2016, 03:53 PM)Johny555 Wrote:  Be carefull with that magic stuff,the engine will get to relay in it,,

Damp start is a waterproofer for ignition systems. I think you are talking about East start which is ether.
OP doesn't say whether petrol or diesel, but white smoke suggests diesel.
Let me guess a 1.9 diesel? If so replace the glow plugs. Easy start will wreck your engine in time!

If im wrong i'll just blame it on my crystal ball not working lol
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • white van woman
You need a crystal ball as quite often posters forget to mention what vehicle they are talking about.

Idea  It's a good idea to put your vehicle details in your signature so it shows on every post at the bottom
My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jj9 for this post:
  • ron
(02-11-2016, 10:46 PM)jj9 Wrote:  You need a crystal ball as quite often posters forget to mention what vehicle they are talking about.

Idea  It's a good idea to put your vehicle details in your signature so it shows on every post at the bottom

That is one of my biggest bugbears. I think there are something like 11 different engines (petrol and diesel) fitted to Berlingos. How hard is it to give the full details?
(02-11-2016, 04:42 PM)panic used it once Col Wrote:  
(02-11-2016, 03:53 PM)Johny555 Wrote:  Be carefull with that magic stuff,the engine will get to relay in it,,

Damp start is a waterproofer for ignition systems. I think you are talking about East start which is ether.
OP doesn't say whether petrol or diesel, but white smoke suggests d
it was easy start & yes its diesel, used it the once & the van hasn't failed to start since & no smoke, I know that vehicles can get addicted as our maxus  likes a shot now & again
quite right, I am an idiot lol
engines dont get addicted to easy start.

they develope faults, usually fuel system , glow plugs or starter related which makes a cold start difficult . easystart goes bang easier than diesel does so the faulty engine will start. but the easystart wont cure the underlying fault. used sensibly and sparingly easystart will allow you to continue to use the vehicle but youll need to sort the underlying problem if you want to stop using it.

ive got one tractor that ive been using easystart on for 30 odd years , really ought to find time to fit new piston rings to sort the low compression, but easystasrt is cheaper in the short term than an engine stripdown.
(16-11-2016, 02:38 PM)ricc Wrote:  engines dont get addicted to easy start.

they develope faults, usually fuel system , glow plugs or starter related which makes a cold start difficult .  easystart goes bang easier than diesel does so the faulty engine will start. but the easystart wont cure the underlying fault. used sensibly and sparingly easystart will allow you to continue to use the vehicle but youll need to sort the underlying problem if you want to stop using it.

ive got one tractor that ive been using easystart on for 30 odd years , really ought to find time to fit new piston rings to sort the low compression, but easystasrt is cheaper in the short term than an engine stripdown.

Maybe the low compression and worn piston rings are a result of using easy start   Huh

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92