Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Vibration in Steering wheel when turning
Hi Folks,

Had my 2012 Multispace in for MOT last weekend, (it passed Wink ). When driving home I noticed a fairly strong vibration thro the steering wheel when turning, like I was driving over a rough concrete surface. 

Very odd, then it happened again, and again, always when going round a corner.

Did a search and found this is common if wheels are turned without engine running, (like during the MOT).....Fix is to jack up front wheels, and with engine running turn left/right 10 times ! I had planned to do this at the weekend, but regular driving over a few days seems to have fixed it.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to 48pop for this post:
  • nicko
Thanks - very useful to know. Only a couple of weeks ago I had mine serviced at the main dealer and noticed exactly the same for a couple of days after, then it went away on its own. Now I know why.

Mine wasn't an MOT, but presumably they carried out similar tests while it was there.

Where did you find the explanation? I'm presumably not typing the right words into google. I guess the fluid must end up in the wrong place or something, so it needs chance to go back to where it should be.
(17-11-2016, 11:06 AM)doofer Wrote:  Where did you find the explanation?  ....

On this very forum Smile
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to 48pop for this post:
  • doofer
Thanks - it's a very noticeable thing, I thought they'd broken it. Very rough concrete feel - I noticed it when pulling up to a junction ready to turn, I think you need a fair bit of steering turn plus very slow road speed - I was just coming to a stop.

I did nothing and it went away. At least I won't have to worry the next time it happens. I'd guess they turn the wheels to check the brake pipes or just the tyres.
I was there at my MOT. While on the lift they jack up the front end to check, ball joints etc and turn the wheel side to side by hand.

You know the crazy thing, while doing emission testing the reading was so low that the MOT machine would not accept that the probe was in place ! They had to rev the nuts off it to get a result that would register.......(its got 80k miles on the clock BTW.....)