Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2003 2.0 Diesel - Won't Start - Help!
Hi there,

Recently bought a 2003 2 Lt diesel after having had a 2002 1.6 petrol for 5 years.

I went to start it last night and it began to turn over. It started at what seemed like a good speed and carried on for a fair while but gradually began to slow down. The engine didn't catch. On the second turn of the key, the engine turned over slower than before but still tried for a while and then came to a stop. On subsequent turns of the key there were flickers of life. After a few tries, it stopped turning over at all. The dash lights, headlights and radio still turn on but all I get when i fully turn the key is a single click.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!
Change your battery - you will get a choice at most factors always buy the higher CCA and AH you can fit.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • rorym
Duff battery!
2001 1.9D Multispace.
Diagbox diagnostics in Northumberland.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to malgpz900 for this post:
  • rorym
Thanks guys. Bump/jump start worth a try?
A jump start should get you going, you may have to leave the jump leads on for a little while before trying to start it up to let your battery take on some charge, have the engine running on the donor vehicle.

The cold weather always kills off a battery that is past it's best, especially on a diesel vehicle that requires a bit off juice to get it started.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jj9 for this post:
  • rorym
Black Friday - Batteries may be a better price today than usual. For example 15% off at CP4L

It does sound like your battery from what you've explained, but could be the alternator not charging. Only way to tell the latter is by some kind of meter or OBD connection when it's running. Can you get someone to help with jumper cables? Cables will also help diagnose a bad starter motor. I've never tried a push start with these cars, so have no idea if it's a good or bad idea.
If battery is good and charging.next thing will be starter motor.
Thanks for all your suggestion. Much appreciated!

Tried to jump start the car this morning with no luck. Then had a go push starting and it lives! Have since driven around for an hour with no problems. Am going to leave it for a few hours and then see if it starts again.
If battery is ok.it will b starter motor
(26-11-2016, 01:09 PM)Johny555 Wrote:  If battery is ok.it will b starter motor

Agreed, if jumper cables didn't help it's probably the starter motor.  Seems to be a common theme on the 2.0HDi, maybe others too. Mine would start fine until the outside temp got below 10 deg C, then the starter would get slower after a few seconds but on the second try would work. I've replaced the brushes on my starter and given it a good clean out /re-grease. It now starts ok, but does not spin the engine quite as fast as I'd like. Next week will be another test as it's expected to go below freezing on Mon & tues. I think the original 1.4kW starters are not really a high enough rating for cold weather, many people on here have upgraded, I'm just too stingy. Although I do have a used / rebuilt 1.7kW starter on standby.