Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel consumption
I bought a 2003 1.9D Multispace a couple of weeks ago.

The seller said it would do 60mpg - yeah, right...sat on the back of a low-loader perhaps.

Just done a 200 mile consumption check - just under 26 litres.

35 miles to the gallon!

To be fair with it being new I've pushed it to see what its top-end mph is (twice) and a couple of trips have been around town carrying plywood sheets and DJ equipment to a gig. We had a bit of a drag race with a Range Rover once over 1/4 mile and been stuck in crawling traffic a couple of times.

But really? 35mpg on a diesel?? I thought these things were cheap to run???
When was it last serviced?  When i used to buy S/h vehicles I gave them a major service on the,often correct assumption,that they were way overdue.I can't speak on the 1.9 Berlingo but would expect 45-50 mpg used reasonably.My old 1.8 C15 did 55mpg but that was a lighter vehicle.What mileage is yours?
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • AlanDeejay
With heavy foot,thrashing it will use more diesel,my old combo was great round town on fuel but on motorway mid 30s to a gallon,
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Johny555 for this post:
  • AlanDeejay
I had a 1.9D & it averaged about 44mpg at about 65mph motorway cruise. Any faster than that & it would drop down to 40mpg. They are old tech indirect injection so not as economical as hdi diesels. They are quite slow but thrashing it through the gears will just put consumption up. Try your next tankful driving it quite gently & if you can get 45mpg that's as about as good as you will get ime.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • AlanDeejay
(04-12-2016, 04:25 PM)ron Wrote:  When was it last serviced?  When i used to buy S/h vehicles I gave them a major service on the,often correct assumption,that they were way overdue.I can't speak on the 1.9 Berlingo but would expect 45-50 mpg used reasonably.My old 1.8 C15 did 55mpg but that was a lighter vehicle.What mileage is yours?

Hi Ron, it's on 131k and as you suspect probably needs a good service. I'll try to give it one this week.
Thanks for all your replies. Yes, I was thinking 45mpg more the mark.

I'm pretty snowed under with DJing and other work at the moment but I'll service it asap.

Driving economically for the next 200 miles, let's see how we go....
I keep a good track of fuel economy on my bingo. It's a 2002 1.9D non turbo Multispace and on my regular 48 mile round trip work commute, pulls 45-47 MPG on a mixture of Welsh backroads and A roads.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Wyvern for this post:
  • AlanDeejay
(05-12-2016, 10:44 AM)AlanDeejay Wrote:  Thanks for all your replies. Yes, I was thinking 45mpg more the mark.

I'm pretty snowed under with DJing and other work at the moment but I'll service it asap.

Driving economically for the next 200 miles, let's see how we go....
At 130,000m it would be worth checking valve clearances.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • AlanDeejay
My 1.6hdi averages around 56mpg in the summer but it drops to about 52 in the winter. That is with me driving normally, on a decent run it gives a couple of mpg more but if I'm in a hurry it drops considerably.

I don't know why it's worse in winter as I use the A/C quite a bit in summer which I would have thought would drink the fuel.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Solent for this post:
  • AlanDeejay
(06-12-2016, 03:45 PM)Solent Wrote:  My 1.6hdi averages around 56mpg in the summer but it drops to about 52 in the winter. That is with me driving normally, on a decent run it gives a couple of mpg more but if I'm in a hurry it drops considerably.

I don't know why it's worse in winter as I use the A/C quite a bit in summer which I would have thought would drink the fuel.

I've never found a/c use to affect my mpg.I go to Germany every June & use the aircon all the time & mpg is the same as without.