Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] increase in a ratchet-type noise
Hi all,

I think my berlingo (1.6 hdi, DV6 2007) has developed a slight increase in a ratchet-type noise. Please have a listen at the video. At the beginning is on tick over and then at ~1200 rpm, but it is noticeable at all rpms. The audio is a bit poor, but the ratchet type, clicking noise can be kind of heard. This noise has always been there and it seems normal for the engine, but it has definitely increased in noise in the past few days. Please tell me if I am imaging it, although this has definitely increased as compared to before.

If the audio is not really clear, I will try to record it with open bonnet.

Here is the link:

Many thanks for any insight.
smile, you are alive!
Get a long screwdriver an use it as a listening stick, place the end of the screwdriver on different parts of the engine with the handle up against your ear and try to pin point where the noise is coming from.

Sounds like it could be timing chain noise.

Mileage on engine?
When was the oil & filter last changed?
Does the vehicle get a decent long run every now and then?

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
(08-12-2016, 04:52 PM)jj9 Wrote:  Get a long screwdriver an use it as a listening stick, place the end of the screwdriver on different parts of the engine with the handle up against your ear and try to pin point where the noise is coming from.

Mileage on engine?

Mileage is ~78,000, so not that much. Oil, oil filter, air filter, diesel filter were all replaced ~1-2 months ago. It does get decent long run every now and then.
I will go over the weekend with a screwdriver to see if I can pinpoint it a bit.

Otherwise, same performance, no difference really.
smile, you are alive!
(08-12-2016, 04:57 PM)saskak Wrote:  
(08-12-2016, 04:52 PM)jj9 Wrote:  Get a long screwdriver an use it as a listening stick, place the end of the screwdriver on different parts of the engine with the handle up against your ear and try to pin point where the noise is coming from.

Mileage on engine?

Mileage is ~78,000, so not that much. Oil, oil filter, air filter, diesel filter were all replaced ~1-2 months ago. It does get decent long run every now and then.
I will go over the weekend with a screwdriver to see if I can pinpoint it a bit.

Otherwise, same performance, no difference really.

Forgot to say that drivebelt, tensioners, pullies, etc., were replaced at ~32,000 (due to noise that I could not bear). The current cambelt is only ~46,000 miles.
smile, you are alive!
Try spraying the serpentine belt/alternator drive belt with a bit of WD40 if it goes away you have an answer. Ive heard a few that sound like a rattle more than a squeak.
Thank you both. I will try to do the screwdriver method and wd40 to see if I can pinpoint it.
smile, you are alive!
In days of yore when we were all too skint to afford WD40 type stuff let alone spray it on belts the recognized tool was known as a " kettle " yes a domestic kettle, use it to pour water over a suspect belt and if the noise goes you have the answer.
Water works VERY well indeed as a diagnostic .................
(09-12-2016, 12:08 AM)geoff Wrote:  In days of yore when we were all too skint to afford WD40 type stuff let alone spray it on belts the recognized tool was known as a " kettle " yes a domestic kettle, use it to pour water over a suspect belt and if the noise goes you have the answer.
Water works VERY well indeed as a diagnostic .................

I still think it might not be a belt per se. It is more of a ratchet type sound, rather than squeaky one. Come weekend will spend some time to see if I can pinpoint something.
smile, you are alive!