Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2005 2.0 HDI Siemens pump & Injectors
Hi

I'm facing the job of having to change my Siemens diesel fuel pump (part 5WS 40018) and injectors (part 9652173780) as injector number 1 in causing the engine light to come on.

There are some very small pieces of shinny metal in the bottom of the fuel filter housing which I've been told are likely to have come from the failing fuel pump.

Assuming the pump has failed can anyone offer some suggestions on the necessary process for replacing both pump and injectors and then the work necessary to clean out the fuel system to remove further bits of metal that may be circulating?  I really don't want to damage the replacement parts by not doing the job properly first time.

Thanks
Shiny metal in the bowl is on the outside of the filter, away from the pump, so would have to pass back through the filter element and against the fuel flow? TBH, I can't remember which side is which on the filter but it's easy enough to check if you have it apart.
Do you have the fault code?
(11-12-2016, 09:05 AM)cancunia Wrote:  Shiny metal in the bowl is on the outside of the filter, away from the pump, so would have to pass back through the filter element and against the fuel flow? TBH, I can't remember which side is which on the filter but it's easy enough to check if you have it apart.
Do you have the fault code?

Hi there,

Thanks very much for your comments.  The code I got was P0201 which suggested a fault with injector 1.

If the pump was failing then is it possible that debris from the pump gets returned to the fuel tank and then sent back to the fuel filter where it collects in the filter housing?

Thanks.
(12-12-2016, 09:23 AM)Woodyrvf750 Wrote:  Hi there,

Thanks very much for your comments.  The code I got was P0201 which suggested a fault with injector 1.

If the pump was failing then is it possible that debris from the pump gets returned to the fuel tank and then sent back to the fuel filter where it collects in the filter housing?

It's possible that what you're seeing has been around the loop I suppose, cleaning the filter bowl might help determine that. From what I've read in other threads on the subject of injectors, you can move the injector to another cylinder and see if the fault moves with it?  Others on here should be able to help on that subject.
I wouldn't concern myself too much with a bit of metal swarf in a Siemens system filter. Mine has a bit in every time I change the filter, and has had for the last 6 years and 72,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Growler73 for this post:
  • Woodyrvf750
So a quick update.  I managed to find a new set on injectors which I've fitted.  There of the original ones looked new but injector number 1 looked very different by comparison.

However this has not cured the problem.  Here's the code I get;

Mode 03: Emission related fault codes

Address 10 (Engine): 1 Fault Found:
P0201 - Injector: Cylinder 1 (N30): Circuit Malfunction

So it seems that the injector itself is not the problem, but whatever drives the injector.  Any ideas?

Thanks
(21-12-2016, 10:50 AM)Woodyrvf750 Wrote:  So a quick update.  I managed to find a new set on injectors which I've fitted.  There of the original ones looked new but injector number 1 looked very different by comparison.

However this has not cured the problem.  Here's the code I get;

Mode 03: Emission related fault codes

Address 10 (Engine): 1 Fault Found:
P0201 - Injector: Cylinder 1 (N30): Circuit Malfunction

So it seems that the injector itself is not the problem, but whatever drives the injector.  Any ideas?

Thanks

It is a common issue. If it is not the injector than it's the wiring loom.
You have to check wires for injector one. Wires may seem ok but they are broken inside.

You can search forum and find a lot of posts on the subject.

Best regards,
brajomobil