Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow starter (diesel)
The cold weather has shown that my diesel doesn't like starting... Now, it's recently had a new fuel filter, bled up properly and no water in the fuel, and once it's warm it'll start again no problem with a smooth tickover, but when it first fires up (usually taking at least four cycles with the glow plugs) it'll only run on two or three cylinders, with a subsequent stealthy smoke screen to hide me from my nosey neighbours. It'll start running on all four from about 10mph...
So, I'm guessing that it's a dodgy glow-plug or two. Anyone concur? Are they easy to test / swap?
Hi again, it's me, V man. The last time I started mine it was the same as yours. I have here 4 X glow plugs which I carried as spares in my Romahome (1998 1.9D XUD). They became wet thanks to a fresh water pump leak. They are now dry but a bit rusty. I started to clean one up when I read your post and the future looks good. You can have them for nowt if you want and I can finish cleaning them up with the mini tool or send them right away if I have the required details.I'm expecting my Blingo to behave when/if the weather warms up. Right now I need to get out for some shopping before the snow arrives. Delighted that you seem to have cured the rad problem.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to alive23512 for this post:
  • zedhead
(12-01-2017, 12:06 PM)zedhead Wrote:  .....I'm guessing that it's a dodgy glow-plug or two. Anyone concur?

.... Are they easy to test / swap?

Possibly yes but often they are good and it is the valve clearances that need adjusting ( do a forum search ) so don't assume and spend before testing - up to you of course.

Yes easy to test and swap.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • zedhead
If its a 1.9 i would go for glow plugs first, easy job, make sure you get some decent ones say Bosh or Beru - dont use ebay - not for glow plugs!

If that doesn't sort it and i suspect it will see what geoff says ^^
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • zedhead
(12-01-2017, 02:39 PM)polar Wrote:  If its a 1.9 i would go for glow plugs first, easy job, make sure you get some decent ones say Bosh or Beru - dont use ebay - not for glow plugs!

you may find one glow plug is hidden behind other stuff , like injector pipes or pump, but 3 new ones is usually enough.

i usually wedge a bit of rag or kitchen towel beneath the plugs to catch the wee nuts when they get dropped, putting the nuts on the hard to get at plug  is easy if you slid the nut down a thin screwdriver with point resting on top of the thread.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ricc for this post:
  • zedhead
(13-01-2017, 04:47 PM)ricc Wrote:  
(12-01-2017, 02:39 PM)polar Wrote:  If its a 1.9 i would go for glow plugs first, easy job, make sure you get some decent ones say Bosh or Beru - dont use ebay - not for glow plugs!

you may find one glow plug is hidden behind other stuff , like injector pipes or pump, but 3 new ones is usually enough.

i usually wedge a bit of rag or kitchen towel beneath the plugs to catch the wee nuts when they get dropped, putting the nuts on the hard to get at plug  is easy if you slid the nut down a thin screwdriver with point resting on top of the thread.

Like i said easy job ;-)
been under the berlingo bonnet this morning .... dissregard the bit above about injector pipes in the way ... that was the boys pug 306.... on the berlingo its the intake manifold goes over the lot.... some funny hose clips to undo but not too bad .
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ricc for this post:
  • zedhead
(12-01-2017, 02:03 PM)geoff Wrote:  
(12-01-2017, 12:06 PM)zedhead Wrote:  .....I'm guessing that it's a dodgy glow-plug or two. Anyone concur?

.... Are they easy to test / swap?

Possibly yes but often they are good and it is the valve clearances that need adjusting ( do a forum search ) so don't assume and spend before testing - up to you of course.

Yes easy to test and swap.

i cant get my head around it being the valves,if a valve wasnt closed why would it start ok the rest of the day,if a valve wasnt closed it would misfire when running,performance would be compromised.Am i missing something ?
Trust me it is a common feature of the 1.9D .... the inlet valves close up due to seat recession, the engine struggles on first start up of the day and then no problem all day regardless until the next morning - in cold weather of course ! The owners say it runs great all Summer but won't start in Winter.

Straightforward to check ( download the Haynes Manual from the Forum if needed ) and if the clearances are out then the ideal time is to combine it with a timing belt change as the camshaft needs to come out.

Have a search as one member kindly posted up the cost of the job when done at his local garage.
A number of people have done this at home without issue, myself included.

Edit : Naturally a check of glow plugs is done first - free when DIY and quick too !! I always advocate checking before spending !!!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • lorraine
(12-01-2017, 01:17 PM)alive23512 Wrote:  Hi again, it's me, V man. The last time I started mine it was the same as yours. I have here 4 X glow plugs which I carried as spares in my Romahome (1998 1.9D XUD).  They became wet thanks to a fresh water pump leak. They are now dry but a bit rusty. I started to clean one up when I read your post and the future looks good. You can have them for nowt if you want and I can finish cleaning them up with the mini tool or send them right away if I have the required details.I'm expecting my Blingo to behave when/if the weather warms up. Right now I need to get out for some shopping before the snow arrives. Delighted that you seem to have cured the rad problem.

Big Grin
Thanks mate, although I've only just noticed this and have ordered some Bosch plugs from t'interwebs.