Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wiper motor wiring
Hi Guys
Been having wiper problems on my X reg mulitspace forte 1.8 petrol. Finally got fed up of just parking the wipers with good timing on the stalk and bought a "newer" motor from eBay. It fits the same, but while mine has a white plug&socket on the wiring this one is black.
Searching the forum it sounds like others have had this before, my question is: Can I just reconnect the wires in the same order (different colour codes, same numbering) and if I do any, tips on doing it; or should I try to get another with the white plug?

Hope you can help.
Cheers
(29-01-2017, 07:56 PM)Steve Hambleton Wrote:  Hi Guys
Been having wiper problems on my X reg mulitspace forte 1.8 petrol. Finally got fed up of just parking the wipers with good timing on the stalk and bought a "newer" motor from eBay. It fits the same, but while mine has a white plug&socket on the wiring this one is black.
Searching the forum it sounds like others have had this before, my question is: Can I just reconnect the wires in the same order (different colour codes, same numbering) and if I do any, tips on doing it; or should I try to get another with the white plug?

Hope you can help.
Cheers
Hi Steve.Just doing this from memory so forgive me if i'm not perfectly correct but i had to replace my MK 1 wiper motor a couple of years ago and found that the original is no longer made [MK1 that is] but, there is a wiring mod to fit a MK2 motor so its a choice between a second hand motor from ebay which in my opinion is a waste of money as the motors deteriorate with time and moisture,but you can find a brand new MK2 motor again on ebay at a reasonable price,that said,and once purchased youll need the modification kit ,just a few pounds from your main Citreon dealer,which consists of connections and wires.Its easy to modify but youll have to work out which wire is which on the loom,i think youll find a permanent live,a switched live through the indicator switch and relay and a earth again forgive me my memory isnt that good,its something like that but easily sorted if you have a meter,oh and dont forget youll need a MK2 wiper blade as they are different.Hope that helps.
Jeez I feel dumb. Only just noticed white has 5 wires but the newer black only has 4!

Thanks for the reply Graham. I literally would never have thought of going to the dealer's, it will be a first for me. You prompted a bit more exploring on ebay, found http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Wiper-Mo...6-2003-Box
More than half what the car is worth; but it looks like I'll just need the magic m-996-2003 converter?

Though it looks to like it might be possible to bodge it? 3 on the black fitting seems blanked off inside, so presumably I just need to figure out which lines to join.
No garage so it will be next weekend before I'll have a go! No meter, but I have got the Haynes typical wiring diagrams.

Fun. Fun. Fun!
(30-01-2017, 07:58 PM)Steve Hambleton Wrote:  Jeez I feel dumb. Only just noticed white has 5 wires but the newer black only has 4!

Thanks for the reply Graham. I literally would never have thought of going to the dealer's, it will be a first for me. You prompted a bit more exploring on ebay, found http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Wiper-Mo...6-2003-Box
More than half what the car is worth; but it looks like I'll just need the magic m-996-2003 converter?

Though it looks to like it might be possible to bodge it? 3 on the black fitting seems blanked off inside, so presumably I just need to figure out which lines to join.
No garage so it will be next weekend before I'll have a go! No meter, but I have got the Haynes typical wiring diagrams.

Fun. Fun. Fun!

Sorry ,me being thick,[ no change there then ] .I assumed that we were talking rear wiper,the front wiper is different.The 4 wire is for a berlingo with a bsi [ built in system interface ] and the 5 wire is for the earlier non bsi where all the systems are mechanical ,ie fuses and relays.Yours is obviously the older system and is wired quite differently,so here we go,you will need the 5 th wire number 3,this you dont need if you have a bsi [ built-in system interface.] which you dont . The following will indicate the 4 wire to 5 wire connection differences 
 Connection 1 on 5 wire will go to connection 4 on 4 wire.
 Connection 2 on 5 wire will go to connection 1 on 4 wire.
 Connection 3 on 5 wire will go to the missing connection on 4 wire.
 Connection 4 on 5 wire will go to connection 5 on 4 wire
 Connection 5 on 5 wire will go to connection 2 on 4 wire.

I admit this is a little confusing but you are matching up the old system [ white plug ]  to the newer bsi controlled system [ black plug ]
 The 5th wire which is blanked off on the newer black plug will need to be released to be able to successfully fit this newer motor . Connection 3  is fed on your 5 wire system which should be a yellow wire from fuse 24 [ front wiper motor ] 20 amp.in your fuse box and via your wash / wipe stalk switch.This connects to the wiper printed circuit inside the wiper motor ,this is the connection which isnt fed on the newer bsi type wiring system and therefore blanked off.
 Should this connection not be wired at all on the 4 wire black plugged motor you will have to open both motors and wire it in the same position as the older white plugged motor by soldering a wire in onto the wiper printed circuit, but i dont think this will be necessary and assume this will be there but just blanked off.
 If it was mine i think id just chop the connections plugs off and solder the wires together,as the likelyhood of needing to do it again is very low,but it always pays to make a note of what youve done or take a few pictures just in case.
 I'm sorry ,very confusing but do-able with a little messing around and no distractions ,you need to concentrate and double check your connections. Good luck.
 I'm in Plymouth,are you local to me,i can give you a hand.!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bikergraham for this post:
  • Steve Hambleton
Thanks again Graham. Mission accomplished. Actually turned out simpler than expected as the white plug had 5 wires but on checking the socket on the motor 3 was blank. I now have self parking, multi speed wipers.
Fingers crossed they stay that way!

Cheers
(04-02-2017, 07:02 PM)Steve Hambleton Wrote:  Thanks again Graham. Mission accomplished. Actually turned out simpler than expected as the white plug had 5 wires but on checking the socket on the motor 3 was blank. I now have self parking, multi speed wipers.
Fingers crossed they stay that way!

Cheers

Your very welcome Steve,im glad i could help.I have a MK 1  Berlingo made in Feb' 02 so getting towards the last of them,its very basic as that i dont have electric windows or central locking but ive had a couple of strange electrical problems over the 8 years that i have owned this car,they say that French cars have strange electrics but i have to say no stranger than other cars i have owned and certainly no less reliable,but i do like everything working as it should so even a bulb out where it doesnt matter i have to fix,  it would drive me mad having to "park" my wipers so i know how you feel. All the best Graham.