Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine cover / breastplate / vanity thingie
I was wondering, does that nice big blingy black and silver plastic cover on top of the engine (mines a 2.0Ltr HDi) do anything, or is it just there to make the engine look pretty?

Regards to all,
John - (2005 2.0HDi with Modutop roof, mini camper).

I suppose that apart from neatening things up, it provides a little protection to the untidy mess of electrical connectors and high pressure fuel pipes, and the injectors, against the accidental dropping of tools, or the spilling of oil and water. My 2015 HDi van didn't come with one, and others on here have complained about not having one also.
(21-02-2017, 08:44 PM)CourierJim Wrote:  I suppose that apart from neatening things up, it provides a little protection to the untidy mess of electrical connectors and high pressure fuel pipes, and the injectors, against the accidental dropping of tools, or the spilling of oil and water. My 2015 HDi van didn't come with one, and others on here have complained about not having one also.

Ah, interesting Smile

Mine came with the car, but was in the rear load bay as it's mountings had all snapped. I have obtained some more fixings but have hesitated to re-fit it as I like to be able to occasionally examine many of the bits that lurk underneath.

I was wondering if it had any worthwhile noise suppression function (it is lagged with a soundproofing mat)?
I suppose I should just fit it and be able to answer my on question there Idea Blush

Or, maybe tied in to some small degree with the temperature of the injector pipes etc & maybe faster warm up time? (especially in the cold weather).
Regards to all,

Most likely sound suppression, i had a 2.0hdi in my Relay van but that had no covers fitted. Peugeot fit the same engine and that aso has no cover.
Most likely noise suppression same with the undertray ....

Drive by noise pollution was the reason for Bosch developing the water cooled alternator a number of years ago

Not a resounding success - I spent a few years on development and manufacture of that one, an interesting time for me but for those who bought them it was a torrid time ...
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
OK, so I made up some fixings for it using 10mm SS studding and nuts. I fitted rubber grommets into the holes in the breastplate (had to enlarge them slightly) to  provide some vibration isolation. I fitted largish washers either side of the grommets so that the nuts would not eat into them. I used double nuts everywhere so they won't come loose. I only nipped down the ones either side of the grommets so as not to over compress them. I put some plastic caps over the tops (just so it looks neat). The whole job took about an hour, not rushing.

The result = not only does it look neater, but the sound level is very noticeably lower. I'm very pleased.

Note to self = next time take pictures as you go, for the forum Blush

If you haven’t got a breastplate on yours, I recommend a trip to the breakers. Many French cars use this same basic engine type, so they should be easy to obtain and not expensive. You could even get the proper O.E. fixings of the donor while you're there.
Regards to all,

(11-03-2017, 08:32 AM)ghost123uk Wrote:  If you haven’t got a breastplate on yours, I recommend a trip to the breakers. Many French cars use this same basic engine type, so they should be easy to obtain and not expensive. You could even get the proper O.E. fixings of the donor while you're there.

Get some M6 thread Renault exhaust bobbins they are a lot stronger than the original fixings and you can hold it on with wing nuts/thumbscrews whatever you call them instead of the half turn clips which can't wait to fly off and get lost. Or you can get the original bobbins and clips on eBay from Hong Kong if you are not impatient like me.
So where does this bit go then ?
(11-03-2017, 09:47 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  Get some M6 thread Renault exhaust bobbins they are a lot stronger than the original fixings and you can hold it on with wing nuts/thumbscrews whatever
Good info there Smile
Regards to all,