Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Transmission] Vibration at 1250 rpm
I am again trying to identify a noise which occurs at 1250 rpm under light load in 3rd 4th and 5th gears.  The gearstick also wobbles a little under heavy acceleration and the engine gives a single knock sound when starting up and switching off. Nothing serious but irritating.

I think the bottom engine mount may be the culprit but the dealer has told me it's in good condition. Can anyone tell me why the offside driveshaft goes through the engine mount casting, and, specifically, is there a bearing there? And what is the purpose of the 2 bolts and nuts which go through the casting either side of the driveshaft in this bearing position?

2005 Berlingo 2.0 HDi Multispace M59 engine. 56k miles only
Sounds like soggy mountings with the gearstick moving / single knock.

Driveshaft - it is a long one so needs supporting over the length, yes a bearing and it is called a support bearing, the two bolts are to secure the bearing in the casting
Sometimes the one at the gearbox end just comes loose and needs tightening up but it's not expensive to swap it if it's worn.
So where does this bit go then ?
(04-03-2017, 12:31 PM)Many thanks for the info, Geoff and ffrenchie. I will check this bearing out. Perhaps the noise is coming from that. As regards the gearbox mounting I replaced this some time ago but it did not stop the noise. The car runs just fine but I am fed up of hearing this noise all the time. Wrote:  geoffSounds like soggy mountings with the gearstick moving / single knock.

Driveshaft - it is a long one so needs supporting over the length, yes a bearing and it is called a support bearing, the two bolts are to secure the bearing in the casting