Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big C's Subtle Van Mods and Enhancements.
Hi 
I have just become the new owner of a Citroen Berlingo Hdi Enterprise in Arctic Steel...This is my first van and was purchased more out of family practicality rather than an out and out works van, (should have done this years ago) which leaves it open for a few subtle modifications and enhancements..So far in its first week I am getting to grips with all the knobs and buttons and the noticeable absence of a rear-view mirror lol. I am planning a lot of nice changes to the look but nothing chavvy (too old for that game) which for me personally will give me a little hobby/project in the months ahead.

So perhaps you'll stick around for the ride...

Planned modifications (tentative list)
1) Carpet the rear payload area (covering the existing plywood) (Completed, details in thread)
2) Exchanging the Gearshift Gaiter (which is worn around the top) (Completed, details in thread)
3) Black Roof Rails
4) Metal Pressed Registration Plates (I have done this on previous cars and they really look quite good)
5) Parrot Neo 2 Bluetooth Mini Kit (definitely need a hands free kit)
6) Rubber mats (Completed, details in thread)
7) Mud Flaps
8) 17" Alloy Wheels to Refurbish or New. (I have a couple of designs in mind to finish in Graphite or Gunmetal)
9) Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 K120 Tyres
10) is just a probable (Bilstein Lowering Kit or Eibach Pro Kit)..not sure about this yet, we shall see
Eibach Pro Kit

So as you can see not overly drastic but should enhance the van somewhat. Their may be more additions to the list but its best not to over cook it for now....
I have already started into the list so if you have the time why not drop by this thread...and you may see something you like, I know this is all new to me so I'll be asking a lot of questions too, constructive criticism is always appreciated...

Footnote:
(just a little footnote here and perhaps things may be a little different with the collapse of the pound and Britexit looming. When I had the BMW 1 series I always would turn to Ebay.de for parts ...so much cheaper even after you offset the postage costs...worth looking at peeps. for example the Eibach pro kit for the BMW was £179 in UK whilst £120 in Germany with free std postage a massive saving and the Bilstein B12 set was also a great price)

Hope you enjoy my journey
Regards
C

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” 
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BigC for this post:
  • c00p3r
Gearshift Gaiter Replacement  (Completed)

Today I managed to change the offending part worn gearshift gaiter for a new leather one.
Anyone wishing to partake in a like for like replacement and owns the same van as mine then here is the link.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citroen-Berling...24&sr=1-76

The slits are already pre-cut (in the correct positions)  it is of good quality leather and comes complete with a cable tie.
 So lets get started...

I have to admit after reading and searching YouTube I wasn't exactly looking forward to removing the gear knob section...as it looked like a lot of physical effort....not that I shy from physical effort just I didn't want to break anything.

*Here is the procedure for the job in hand...
Duration - 30 mins....
Tools Req  - Stanley Knife

1. Disengage the fascia holding the bottom of the gaiter to the console by gently pulling the gaiter up and this will give you a start to work your way around the ring clips one by one...The ring will now come away and you can remove from the gaiter by slipping the leatherette off the retaining clips and set to one side.
2. Now for the dreaded part (deep breath) and pull the gear knob directly upward..don't twist or writhe at it just pull it straight upward and it will come off quite easily, leaving the gearshift spigot and plastic insert exposed...huge relief here lol
3. Turn the gaiter inside out and cut the cable tie attaching it to the gear knob...Discard the old gaiter and cable tie and your left with the gear knob in hand.

4. Lets now re attach the knob to the new gaiter. Turn the new leather gaiter inside out and thread the gear knob through until the leather is at the bottom edge of the knob, making sure the gear knob is in the correct position for re assembly and the gear position diagram is facing the right direction... attach the cable tie into the little recess and tighten up....Please note that in my van the seam of the leather will be forward near the dash...Tighten the Cable Tie at the seam and cut off the access.
5. Re attaching the fascia ring to the new leather gaiter...This is quite easy as the slits are off-set and its quite a simple process to determine what goes where just by looking at it, although you may need to stretch the leather a little to accomplish this and get it sitting neatly

6. Turn the whole thing on itself once more..The gear knob will be attached to the gaiter as will the fascia plate...Insert the gear knob onto the spigot shaft and push directly downward...it should slip on fairly easily with a little force...Now insert the clips back into the console until they all click into place and arrange the leather into the bottom of the console...Job done...

I think this was a worthwhile little job, I know my old gaiter wasn't overly worn but I decided to change it nonetheless. The part from Amazon is of very good quality and I'd have no qualms recommending it to anyone with the same setup as myself. The overall job was quite painless in the end as the gear knob does come off quite easily following the above procedure... and I'm personally happy with the outcome.
I hope this little walk-through helps someone wishing to perform the same task all be it now or in the future...

Well that's it for now...on to the next job
Thanks for looking
Regards
C

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” 
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to BigC for this post:
  • c00p3r, nicko, Sol
(19-03-2017, 12:06 PM)BigC Wrote:  Hi 
I have just become the new owner of a Citroen Berlingo Hdi Enterprise in Arctic Silver...This is my first van and was purchased more out of family practicality rather than an out and out works van, (should have done this years ago) which leaves it open for a few subtle modifications and enhancements..So far in its first week I am getting to grips with all the knobs and buttons and the noticeable absence of a rear-view mirror lol. I am planning a lot of nice changes to the look but nothing chavvy (too old for that game) which for me personally will give me a little hobby/project in the months ahead.

So perhaps you'll stick around for the ride...

Planned modifications (tentative list)
1) Carpet the rear payload area (covering the existing plywood)
2) Exchanging the Gearshift Gaiter (which is worn around the top)
3) Black Roof Rails
4) Metal Pressed Registration Plates (I have done this on previous cars and they really look quite good)
5) Parrot Neo 2 Bluetooth Mini Kit (definitely need a hands free kit)
6) Rubber mats 
7) Mud Flaps
8) 17" Alloy Wheels to Refurbish. (I have a couple of designs in mind to finish in Graphite or Gunmetal)
9) Hankook Ventus V12 evo k110 Tyres
10) is just a probable (Bilstein lowering kit)..not sure about this yet, we shall see

So as you can see not overly drastic but should enhance the van somewhat. Their may be more additions to the list but its best not to over cook it for now....
I have already started into the list so if you have the time why not drop by this thread...and you may see something you like, I know this is all new to me so I'll be asking a lot of questions too...Hope you enjoy my journey
Regards
C

Before buying the Parrot kit, take a look at the Connects2 unit, II find it works very well. http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/Produ...CTACTBT002
Matt
2019 Multispace BlueHDi 100 Flair Nimbus Grey Met
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Matt Haigh for this post:
  • BigC
Thanks Matt..I never really considered anything else as I was impressed with my old Parrot module (pretty obsolete in terms of styling... a brick by today's standards lol) that I was choosing to just go along with what I know...A new slimline clip on visor type....

Rubber Mats (Completed)

The rubber mats arrived today and I wasted no time in getting them fitted, They are a genuine Citroen part (No.9464EJ) I always like to buy genuine parts where applicable as I've bought after market and copies before and they were a poor fit...These mats fit like a glove and the press hole stud holes are in the exact position...

They look and fit perfectly which is what I wanted...I purchased these from TOMO Motorparts  (via The Bay of Fleas Smile ) as this is my go-to dealer for all my Peugeot/Citroen accessories (wife owns a 2008 crossover) 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331600887676?_...EBIDX%3AIT
They were fairly expensive (£42.20 inc VAT) for 2 mats but I always advocate "you get what you pay for" and these should last a long long while. Passenger side just lays straight into the foot-well whilst the drivers mat has 2 locating rings which snap fit into the spuds on the van floor to prevent slippage..Needless to say I'm more than happy with this purchase, they look great and are fit for purpose.

So that's another small enhancement crossed off the list 
Thanks for looking
Regards
C

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BigC for this post:
  • c00p3r
Carpeting the Rear Payload Area (Completed)

When I picked up this van from the dealership it was already part ply-lined..As it is mainly going to be used for domestic purposes (and delivering the odd childrens toybox that I make in my spare time) 

I wasn't really happy with the plywood scene...The plywood itself was clean to a certain extent so it would be a shame to have removed it totally as it could still provide a degree of durability to the payload area and help protect the original base tray liner. So with thinking cap on I came up with the idea "why not just cover it all with some kind of material", and carpet seemed the obvious choice...
Off I went to the local rug showroom and bought a rubber backed durable dark carpet remnant. 3mtrs. which came to £30 would be enough to complete this task.  
The first job was to remove the base ply and give the liner (which was remarkably intact) a good clean.

Then using the individual plywood sections as a templates I began to cut out the shapes which were to be covered with the carpet.
Once cut these were stuck down to the wood with a liberal amount of quick drying spray adhesive and re attached via self boring screws and small brackets where necessary.

It took a while to get everything cut, stuck down and re fitted into the van but it was well worth the effort in the end.
Now clean and tidy I can concentrate on building a small rack system for all my car detailling products.

It has been quite satisfying to get this little job done as it fair tidy's up the rear area and its clean and tidy now, I may even look at putting in some new audio pieces (i.e. amps and speakers)

Here follows web links of consumables I used in the process
Self Drilling Screws
Spray Adhesive
Small Angle Braces

Again I am quite happy on how this all turned out.. For a relatively low outlay it had made the rear area look pretty smart all thats missing as I said before is a small well planned little rack that dont take up too much space..I have a few plans whirling around in my head and I hope I can bring them to fruition in the next couple of weeks.
Well I guess that's another little job finished
So lets see whats next Smile
Thanks for dropping by
Regards
C

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to BigC for this post:
  • Kcoupe, Sol
Dent Removal
You may be wondering why the lack of full on external photographs of my van, the reason being as follows...I thought I should include this here as a catologue to this van.
First things first before I can continue on the mod/enhancement side of things...When I bought the van I was shown around it in the evening time in winter and with the salesman opening the side door at a strategic point in proceedings I missed the rather ominous looking dent in the hind quarter panel.......That said, when I went to pick it up I spotted it straight away and refused to drive it off the dealers forecourt.... Angry After a lot of toing and froing between myself and Citroen they agreed to fix the problem.... under remaining warranty or whatever I didn't really care so long as it was fixed to a quality standard...Otherwise the van is in MINT condition.. (this is a major player and is a massive dealership in the car/van world in Northern Ireland, definitely not a backstreet car sales yard some of their marques include Porsche and Aston Martin, so its no small operation) .....What annoyed me the most was that the salesman who originally sold the van to me acted shocked and remarked how did that happen (quite falsely he was so transparent and unconvincing) whilst when I questioned his fellow member of staff he exclaimed that the van came in like that (GB mainland import)..so with all the BS flying around these clowns I left the keys and said to get it fixed.....Next Clown no3 appeared and commented you wouldn't think that little van had been washed and cleaned today......of which I replied It probably hasn't because it was in the same state last night.....Salesmen they take some watching and they could charm the knickers of a nun if your not careful...
Anyway she's off to the bodyshop today and I'll get her back Monday all being well with new shiny armour....My fingers are crossed that they do an excellent job......

Sitting here twiddling my thumbs patiently waiting her return to continue on my program lol
Regards
C

Top work  you've done  Cool them dealer's are a bunch c**t's there again a c**t got a use . Angry
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post:
  • BigC
Dent Removal (conclusion)

I got her back  from the body shop today, I think they did a reasonable enough job, What do ya think?

All is fine except they disconnected my Sat Nav, Changed my radio station and there's bloody grubby fingerprints everywhere and dirt on the upholstery mats look like they've been down a quarry...Needs a good flippin clean inside after this, dunno what they were doing the bloomin dent was on the outside...
Anyway at least she's home...Full detailing job due at the weekend...
C

Spring Clean, or just a little more than that...

Its been a lovely day today, clear skies and sunshine so after the dent removal technicians left her in a filthy state I thought it was hightime she got a mini detailing session...
6 hours later she was gleaming like a new pin (although I cant wait to get new alloy wheels on her)

The Process.

Pre-wash - With Orchard County Citrus prewash..Spray on and rinse off
Snowfoam - Orchard County Cotton Candy...Snowfoam lance leave 15-20 mins and rinse off
Shampoo - Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo and Conditioner
Claybar - Bilt Hamber Auto Clay....full van clense, takes ages but well worth the effort
Polish - Poorboys White Diamond Show Glaze
Wax - Poorboys Nattys Blue Paste Wax
Trim - Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care
 Tyre Dressing - Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss Tyre Protection
Windows - Autoglym Fast Glass

Its been a long day but its something I enjoy...Looking after my car's has always been a particular passion and this van is no exception...
 I hate seeing these £5 Sponge Monkeys trashing cars with dirty equipment moving from car to car....Just my way I suppose
Time for a Beer methinks.... Cool
The internals can wait for another day...its pretty much fine in there at the minute..I can live with it lol
Regards
C