Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent Engine Management Light
Hi all.
I own a 2004 1.9D Berlingo van. I have just had the timing belt changed, unfortunately for the garage when they changed it and re-started the engine it blew up snapping the crank shaft in two which apparently was rotten through. (never heard of that)Unsure if it was their or the engines fault but they footed the bill as it was running when I took it to them.
My main and annoying concern is that the engine management light now comes on intermittently and bleeps at me as it does so. Sometimes it doesn't come on for 4-5 minutes and then other times its on and off every 20 seconds. It stops on for about 10 seconds and then goes off. I've taken it back to the garage and they have said that they cannot get a fault code reading from it until it remains solid. Is this correct?
If so is there anything I can try in the mean time as its pretty annoying when its bleeping at me every 20 seconds. It has had a weld completed on the Cat Converter too to get it through the MOT. I've heard it could be the Lambda sensor, cam shaft sensor or something else? Any help appreciated as the bleeping is driving me insane.
No, if the light comes on for a second or ten or a week there will be a stored code for whatever made it come on, for example if you were to unplug something and start it, the light would come on, start it again with said item plugged back in and light would go out... the fault would still have been stored as an intermittent code not permenent, so they are either dumb or fibbing to save there ass from fixing whatever it is (ex independent pug technician for 10.5yrs so I know, not internet based rhetoric Wink )
Breaking a diesel crankshaft is no mean feat and the story around it being 'rotten through' is a pretty tall one, after all it's metal not a vegetable - are you sure that they know what they are doing at your garage? So did they put another complete (second hand?) engine in and you now possibly have a mix of electronics that aren't communicating correctly?
They put in a second hand cam shaft and if it was as rotten through as they said it should have broke prior to swopping the timing belt. I'm further hacked off tonight though as on my way to work I thought I'd give it a blast down the dual carriageway with some diesel particulate additive in to blow out some cob webs and it wouldn't get past 70mph, almost like it was limited. Before it went to the garage it would easily do 90mph. I'm not happy.
PS Thanks DumDum, so they are talking sh*t then, I thought as much. It's going to another garage on Friday so we'll see what they say.
(06-07-2017, 02:23 AM)SpeedyJD Wrote:  They put in a second hand cam shaft and if it was as rotten through as they said it should have broke prior to swopping the timing belt. I'm further hacked off tonight though as on my way to work I thought I'd give it a blast down the dual carriageway with some diesel particulate additive in to blow out some cob webs and it wouldn't get past 70mph, almost like it was limited. Before it went to the garage it would easily do 90mph. I'm not happy.

Why dont you ask for the old parts to be returned to you,youll soon see if they are telling porkies.If it is the camshaft as opposed to the crankshaft as previously stated,surely by not fitting the timing belt correctly this would have damaged the valves/pistons/and worst senario the con rods and never a camshaft.However......should a second hand camshaft have been fitted,is it on the correct tooth on the timing belt causing power loss and how badly worn was it as the lobes could cause loss of power.Hummm, sounds very sus to me.
 I dont know much about electronics but could it be that the fault which was caused by the poor workmanship of the mechanic,"snapping the camshaft" be still in the ecu and not cleared putting the engine into a "limp home mode"....Just a thought.Another thing which could decrease the power is an overfill of engine oil,my Mk 1 suffers badly if i fill on or over the full mark on the dipstick.
Apologies for any confusion, it was the CAMshaft that broke (not the CRANKshaft).
Checked the oil this morning and its at normal so its not that. I'll set up a different forum in case this question gets missed but can someone tell me where the engine number is as I'm wondering whether they have swopped my engine and failed to mention it. The clutch, gearbox and engine just don't feel the same, its like driving a different van.
Right, I have managed to narrow it down to when the engine management light mainly comes on. 3rd or 4th gear, constant gentle acceleration from just under 2000rpm up to 2250-2500rpm is making the light come on 90% of the time. It does come on other times but this is the most likely and then goes off after about 5-10 seconds.
Its also running very loud and the tapping from the valves when you take your foot off the accelerator from about 20-30mph is awful.
So pi**ed off, when you take a van to a garage to be serviced, MOT-ed and Timing Belt changed and its running lovely, you don't expect it to come back running like a bag of spanners.
Just a thought .....get in touch with your local trading standards office to see if they 'know' of your garage - it's not impossible that they swapped your perfectly good motor for a pile of *hit . If you're in the AA give them a call as they do free legal advice.
(06-07-2017, 02:10 PM)SpeedyJD Wrote:  Right, I have managed to narrow it down to when the engine management light mainly comes on. 3rd or 4th gear, constant gentle acceleration from just under 2000rpm up to 2250-2500rpm is making the light come on 90% of the time. It does come on other times but this is the most likely and then goes off after about 5-10 seconds.
Its also running very loud and the tapping from the valves when you take your foot off the accelerator from about 20-30mph is awful.
So pi**ed off, when you take a van to a garage to be serviced, MOT-ed and Timing Belt changed and its running lovely, you don't expect it to come back running like a bag of spanners.

So sorry to hear of your problems,life is difficult enough without these things,we're not all made of money and transport is so important.The rattling from the tappets mean that the garage havnt set the gaps properly,it is obviously necessary to re-shim the tappets when the cam shaft has been changed,but i am suspicious about how much wear is on the replacement anyway,either way this would cause power loss problems.Good idea about checking out the engine number,i think id be the same.I had a look in the Haynes manual and was unable to find anything on the position of the engine number but you will find it somewhere on the block,i remember mine was in a really awkward place when i looked for it many years ago but i cant remember where i found it,im sorry i cant look now as ive just had an operation! Does the engine look the same,id know if my engine was different,but i guess not all of us have the bonnet open for cleaning like i do.
 In my opinion if the garage is telling the truth then all your problems lead to the "second hand" camshaft and the ability of the mechanic.Is the garage a back street or a reputable one? They need to be taken to task,i think by this time id be writing a letter to them telling them you will be taking legal action to get all your money returned as they have not fullfilled their obligation under the goods and services act.let them know you mean business and your not going away. How many miles is on your car anyway ? Have you received the old parts back ie the broken camshaft ? I suspect the garage will be reluctant to spend any money on your car but youll have to keep chipping away at them.Perhaps it may pay to get an expert opinion ,im sure this could be reclaimed in the small claims court,its easy to do and i would suspect the garage wont want any ccjs against them,im in the process of taking a "builder" to court,its not expensive and can be done online but you cant jump the gun,slowly slowly catchy monkey.