Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossover in Berlingo 1.8i from 1999?
Hey, guys!

I recently got myself my first car, a berlingo 1.8i multispace from 1999. Due to the lack of quality in its current audio system I'm in the process of installing a new one.
I've installed audio systems before so i'm quite familiar with it, but i have a question.
Does the car already have a crossover device built-in for the dash-speakers and the door-speakers??
I'm concerned whether or not I should install a crossover.
Actually, i got another question. There's two offers where you can buy a set of front speakers. Both speakers are almost the exact same, the only difference is that one has the tweeter separated and the other does not. The offer where the tweeter is separated, is £30 more expensive than the one where it's not.
Hope it makes sense.
Thx in advance
Hannibal
(07-07-2017, 08:48 PM)hann5647 Wrote:  Hey, guys!

I recently got myself my first car, a berlingo 1.8i multispace from 1999. Due to the lack of quality in its current audio system I'm in the process of installing a new one.
I've installed audio systems before so i'm quite familiar with it, but i have a question.
Does the car already have a crossover device built-in for the dash-speakers and the door-speakers??
I'm concerned whether or not I should install a crossover.
Actually, i got another question. There's two offers where you can buy a set of front speakers. Both speakers are almost the exact same, the only difference is that one has the tweeter separated and the other does not. The offer where the tweeter is separated, is £30 more expensive than the one where it's not.
Hope it makes sense.
Thx in advance
Hannibal

Pretty sure there's no crossover, otherwise the poverty-pack like mine (1.4L, manual windows etc) would only put out high tones to the dash speakers and you wouldn't hear low tones at all.

I haven't checked, but maybe the dash speakers are connected in parallel with the door speakers (it looks like that from the wiring harness behind the head unit). Since Peugeot only give you 25W or thereabouts for the speakers, they could have used 8 ohm speakers. One 8 ohm speaker on 12v will be 25W, but two of them in parallel makes 4 ohms, which will be 50W at 12v - standard maximum output for a headunit per channel.

Really you shouldn't have to worry about it. There's already wires in the doors for speakers, so just use them as is. My van had aftermarket central locking installed, so the speaker wires were used for the lock motors. I just put my speakers in the empty carpet window panels behind the seats (2 seater panel van).