Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M49 couple camper build log
Rainbow 
This is the build log for my M49 Berlingo, a panel van type 4 door (with two front doors and ambulance-style double rear doors). It's going to be a camper for my wife and I. Most of our trips will be in reasonably warm weather (Australia), but the first one (leaving in a week) will be going to the aptly-named Snowy Mountains in the height of the snowfall.

So far I've built a bench along one side of the cargo area, with a sink and a manual pump faucet. The sink sits right above the wheel arch, so the cargo area is barely reduced at all (the bed will be removable when not travelling, so this matters). The sink is currently draining slowly through a narrow hose to behind the back wheel. If I ever get brave enough to cut into the wheel arch, I can have it drain very fast. Under the sink (great placement, I know) is a 300w inverter supplying 240v power sufficient to run a laptop and a pedestal fan in summer. There's currently two 12v sockets mounted in a messy way, but I'm planning to replace these with a good quality panel mount unit with a single 12v socket and a built-in USB outlet. Under the bonnet I have only a single battery, but it's a dual duty starting/deep cycle marine battery. So at 66Ah, it should be good for a full night of fan usage. I've also added a pair of 5" speakers behind the front seats, as my "poverty-pack" 1.4L van has no grilles in the door cards for speakers and only 3" dash speakers. For lighting, I've got a 6.8W 12v household downlight LED bulb in an adjustable socket. Household 12v bulbs are designed for efficiency, with a constant-current driver circuit. I haven't used LED strips because they only have current-limiting resistors - they burn off power as waste heat. Here's some pictures:
[Image: Hplgx53.jpg]
[Image: ZxQ7QRC.jpg]
[Image: dBAkT3c.jpg]

I know the craftsman ship leaves a lot to be desired. It's not from lack of skill though - this entire build is from scavenged and scrap parts, except for the faucet which I had to buy.

More photos, videos and progress to follow this week, as I'll need to build a bed for my imminent trip Tongue

In the future (next 6 months), I'll likely add solar hot water collectors, a semi-enclosed shower at the tailgate, solar PV panels, a second (lithium) battery and a custom roof-rack with a gravity feed hot water tank and the solar PV panels. Maybe an awning or rooftop tent too.
Look like you have made a good start on it, well done
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
Sounds like you know what you are doing its coming along nicely, even better when you can reuse and recycle without having to part with any cash. A nice looking camper project.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace